Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Help with math course selection for a physics major

1. Feb 18, 2005 #1
    Hey everybody. I'm a long-time lurker who needs some help.

I've just recently decided to become a physics major, and now I have a feeling that my math background is inadequate. I want to get some sort of math degree and take courses that would be useful for physics, but I don't have a lot of guidance on what courses to take, beyond the required core components of Linear Algebra, Topology, Modern Algebra, Differential Equations, and Probability. I must still take at least four courses from this list (there's a list of undergrad courses as well, but those are pretty weak):

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/courses/grad.shtml [Broken]

Right now I am thinking of Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry. I am going to talk to an advisor soon, but I am interested in hearing what you guys feel is important. What would be nice to know before moving on the grad school?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Hey, another Michigan guy! :smile: That's where I went to grad school. But it was over twenty years ago, and the physics department is a lot different now. Randall Laboratory is completely unrecognizable compared to when I was there.

I would definitely recommend Complex Analysis if you're planning to go on to grad school. After my first semester in grad school, in which we used conformal mapping in E&M, and integration in the complex plane in various courses, I signed up for Complex Analysis as one of my "cognate courses". I see they're still using Churchill's book! (somebody must have borrowed mine, I can't find it...)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook