1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Help with math course selection for a physics major

1. Feb 18, 2005 #1
    Hey everybody. I'm a long-time lurker who needs some help.

I've just recently decided to become a physics major, and now I have a feeling that my math background is inadequate. I want to get some sort of math degree and take courses that would be useful for physics, but I don't have a lot of guidance on what courses to take, beyond the required core components of Linear Algebra, Topology, Modern Algebra, Differential Equations, and Probability. I must still take at least four courses from this list (there's a list of undergrad courses as well, but those are pretty weak):

Right now I am thinking of Complex Analysis and Differential Geometry. I am going to talk to an advisor soon, but I am interested in hearing what you guys feel is important. What would be nice to know before moving on the grad school?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Hey, another Michigan guy! :smile: That's where I went to grad school. But it was over twenty years ago, and the physics department is a lot different now. Randall Laboratory is completely unrecognizable compared to when I was there.

I would definitely recommend Complex Analysis if you're planning to go on to grad school. After my first semester in grad school, in which we used conformal mapping in E&M, and integration in the complex plane in various courses, I signed up for Complex Analysis as one of my "cognate courses". I see they're still using Churchill's book! (somebody must have borrowed mine, I can't find it...)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?