Help with Math Notes: What Worked Best for You?

• Thread starter Spiralshell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notes
In summary, the conversation revolves around taking effective notes in math classes and seeking advice from others. The main questions are whether to take notes from the textbook or from class lectures, what kind of paper and writing utensils to use, and how to organize and review notes for studying. Some suggestions include taking notes verbatim from the board and adding notations, using different colored inks for different subjects, and working through problems from both class and the textbook. Examples of notes from Paul's notes and personal methods are also shared.
Spiralshell
I am in precalculus right now and I am trying to better myself as a student. I take all the notes the professor gives (which are none because all he does is solve problems from the class textbook) and from the textbook. I was wondering if anyone would mind posting their notes as perhaps an example of how I should take math notes? If giving advice, I am asking for details e.g. would you use lined paper or plain white computer paper or some other paper? if using lined paper do you write a fraction between the lines or on one line? Pen or pencil? Mechanical pencil or wooden pencil? What kind of pen? I must sound crazy for asking for these small details, but I really want to know! If anyone in higher level math is willing to share their secrets to success I would be eternally grateful. Scratch that, I am eternally grateful that you took the time to even read my post. Thank you.

I was also wondering what worked best for you guys. Taking notes from the chapter or doing as many problems as possible for the experience? I have found that looking back at my notes from the chapter tells me very little... especially when I need to know them. In my math class the teachers stresses speed and the ability to calculate problems quickly... So, I only take the notes for memory purposes but it is time consuming and I feel I'd be better off doing more problems, but then again I don't really know. What worked best for you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually what I do is just to copy notes verbatim from the board, then add notations as I see fit. For class notes, usually lined paper. For special problems and for lists of notation I use unlined computer paper. For each subject I like to use a different color of ink...

But yeah, you just have to find out what works best for you. After class, try to rework the problems in your notes... and also work the problems from the book. It is a lot of work, but sometimes that is what it takes to succeed.

As for example notes, try Paul's notes from Lamar...a google search will yield them. For my notes, I go to lecture and write down important things...definition...short proofs...interesting things th professor says. I write down some examples but not at all, I don't want to get bogged down with that stuff...and most of its in the book anyhow, which should be read prior to class. Outside of that, I make quick study guides for each chapter with definitions and theorems. I usually use pen too, so it doesn't get faded like pencil. Anything else just ask! Hope I helped

1. What is the best way to take math notes?

The best way to take math notes is to use a combination of handwritten notes and typed notes. Handwritten notes allow you to draw diagrams and equations, while typed notes can be organized and easily edited.

2. How do you effectively review your math notes?

To effectively review math notes, it is important to regularly review them after each class and create summary notes with key concepts and formulas. Practice problems and quizzes can also be helpful for reviewing and testing your understanding.

3. Is it better to take notes on paper or on a computer?

This depends on personal preference and what works best for you. Some people prefer taking notes on paper because it allows for more freedom and creativity, while others find it more efficient to take notes on a computer.

4. How do you organize your math notes to make them easier to study?

Organizing your math notes by topic or chapter can be helpful for studying. You can also color-code notes or use symbols to differentiate between different concepts. It is also important to keep notes neat and legible for easier studying.

5. How do you deal with complex equations and diagrams in your math notes?

For complex equations and diagrams, it is important to break them down into smaller, easier to understand parts. Use different colors and symbols to highlight important steps and make sure to label all equations and diagrams clearly.