1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Math notes

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    I am in precalculus right now and I am trying to better myself as a student. I take all the notes the professor gives (which are none because all he does is solve problems from the class textbook) and from the textbook. I was wondering if anyone would mind posting their notes as perhaps an example of how I should take math notes? If giving advice, I am asking for details e.g. would you use lined paper or plain white computer paper or some other paper? if using lined paper do you write a fraction between the lines or on one line? Pen or pencil? Mechanical pencil or wooden pencil? What kind of pen? I must sound crazy for asking for these small details, but I really want to know! If anyone in higher level math is willing to share their secrets to success I would be eternally grateful. Scratch that, I am eternally grateful that you took the time to even read my post. Thank you.

I was also wondering what worked best for you guys. Taking notes from the chapter or doing as many problems as possible for the experience? I have found that looking back at my notes from the chapter tells me very little... especially when I need to know them. In my math class the teachers stresses speed and the ability to calculate problems quickly... So, I only take the notes for memory purposes but it is time consuming and I feel I'd be better off doing more problems, but then again I don't really know. What worked best for you?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    Usually what I do is just to copy notes verbatim from the board, then add notations as I see fit. For class notes, usually lined paper. For special problems and for lists of notation I use unlined computer paper. For each subject I like to use a different color of ink...

But yeah, you just have to find out what works best for you. After class, try to rework the problems in your notes... and also work the problems from the book. It is a lot of work, but sometimes that is what it takes to succeed.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    As for example notes, try Paul's notes from Lamar....a google search will yield them. For my notes, I go to lecture and write down important things...definition...short proofs...interesting things th professor says. I write down some examples but not at all, I don't wanna get bogged down with that stuff...and most of its in the book anyhow, which should be read prior to class. Outside of that, I make quick study guides for each chapter with definitions and theorems. I usually use pen too, so it doesn't get faded like pencil. Anything else just ask! Hope I helped

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook