1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with math Sequence

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit of the sequence whose terms are given by [tex]a_{n}[/tex]=[tex]n^{2}[/tex](1-cos[tex]\frac{4.2}{n}[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I now that [tex]n^{2}[/tex] goes to infinity so have to use l'hospital rule because you will have infinity*0 which is an indeterminate form, so rewrote as
    [tex]a_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{(1-cos\frac{4.2}{n})}{\frac{1}{n^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{(1-cos\frac{4.2}{n})}{\frac{1}{n^{2}}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{}{}[/tex]
    = [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{ [/tex] {[tex]\frac{-4.2sin\frac{4.2}{n}}{n^{2}}[/tex]}/{[tex]\frac{-2}{n^{3}}[/tex]}

won't the limit still be 0 i really don't understand any of this can anyone please help

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so l'Hopital gives you the form 8.4*n*sin(4.2/n), which is still 0*infinity. Just apply l'Hopital again like you did the first time.

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    okay so if i do it again i get
    8.4 [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{sin\frac{4.2}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]
    so in the end i will get
    8.4 [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex](-4.2cos(4.2/x))

did i do it right so far
    so is the answer -35.28 i really don't understand how you are suppose to find the limit can someone please help

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops. I made a mistake. Sorry! It's not 8.4*n*sin(4.2/n). It's -2.1*n*sin(4.2/n). Change the 8.4 to -2.1. There are three minuses and the 4.2 is divided by 2. Now it's easy. As n->infinity what does the cos approach. There's a good reason not to give to explicit hints - because I make too many mistakes.

6. Nov 3, 2007 #5
    so as n approaches infinity cos approaches 0 right
    so do you just multiply -2.1 by -4.2 to get the answer

7. Nov 3, 2007 #6
    yeah i got the right answer thanks so much. but i still think that finding limits for sequences are still hard.

8. Nov 3, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some are, some aren't. Your's is kind of in the middle. Good job, though. Sorry to confuse you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?