Find the Limit of a Sequence Using L'Hospital Rule - Math Sequence Homework Help

• Thread starter will_lansing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the limit of the given sequence is -35.28. The solution involves using l'Hopital's rule multiple times to simplify the expression and then using the fact that as n approaches infinity, cos approaches 0. While some limits for sequences can be difficult, this particular one is considered average difficulty.
will_lansing

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the sequence whose terms are given by [tex]a_{n}[/tex]=[tex]n^{2}[/tex](1-cos[tex]\frac{4.2}{n}[/tex])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I now that [tex]n^{2}[/tex] goes to infinity so have to use l'hospital rule because you will have infinity*0 which is an indeterminate form, so rewrote as
[tex]a_{n}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{(1-cos\frac{4.2}{n})}{\frac{1}{n^{2}}}[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{(1-cos\frac{4.2}{n})}{\frac{1}{n^{2}}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{}{}[/tex]
= [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{ [/tex] {[tex]\frac{-4.2sin\frac{4.2}{n}}{n^{2}}[/tex]}/{[tex]\frac{-2}{n^{3}}[/tex]}

won't the limit still be 0 i really don't understand any of this can anyone please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so l'Hopital gives you the form 8.4*n*sin(4.2/n), which is still 0*infinity. Just apply l'Hopital again like you did the first time.

okay so if i do it again i get
8.4 [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{sin\frac{4.2}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]
so in the end i will get
8.4 [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex](-4.2cos(4.2/x))

did i do it right so far
so is the answer -35.28 i really don't understand how you are suppose to find the limit can someone please help

Ooops. I made a mistake. Sorry! It's not 8.4*n*sin(4.2/n). It's -2.1*n*sin(4.2/n). Change the 8.4 to -2.1. There are three minuses and the 4.2 is divided by 2. Now it's easy. As n->infinity what does the cos approach. There's a good reason not to give to explicit hints - because I make too many mistakes.

so as n approaches infinity cos approaches 0 right
so do you just multiply -2.1 by -4.2 to get the answer

yeah i got the right answer thanks so much. but i still think that finding limits for sequences are still hard.

Some are, some aren't. Your's is kind of in the middle. Good job, though. Sorry to confuse you.

1. What is L'Hospital's rule and how does it apply to finding the limit of a sequence?

L'Hospital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate the limit of a sequence by taking the ratio of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator. This is helpful when the limit of a sequence results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. By applying L'Hospital's rule, we can simplify the sequence and find its limit.

2. When can L'Hospital's rule be applied to finding the limit of a sequence?

L'Hospital's rule can only be applied when the sequence is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is important to note that the rule can only be applied to real-valued functions.

3. Are there any restrictions or limitations to using L'Hospital's rule?

Yes, there are a few restrictions and limitations to using L'Hospital's rule. Firstly, the sequence must be in an indeterminate form for the rule to be applied. Additionally, the sequence must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the limit point. Lastly, the rule can only be applied a finite number of times, meaning it may not always result in a solution.

4. Can L'Hospital's rule be used to find the limit of any sequence?

No, L'Hospital's rule can only be used to find the limit of a sequence when it is in an indeterminate form. If the sequence does not result in an indeterminate form, then the rule cannot be applied. In these cases, other techniques, such as algebraic manipulation or the squeeze theorem, may be used to find the limit.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using L'Hospital's rule to find the limit of a sequence?

One common mistake is to blindly apply L'Hospital's rule without first checking if the sequence is in an indeterminate form. Another mistake is to use the rule multiple times, even when it is not necessary. It is also important to check for any restrictions or limitations, such as differentiability, before applying the rule. Additionally, it is important to remember that L'Hospital's rule may not always result in a solution, so it is important to have other techniques in mind when approaching a limit problem.