Help with MatLab Plotting Issues | Thomson Spectrometer

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter 1Keenan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab Plot
In summary: Overall, it seems like you are facing issues with the layout and formatting of your plot in MatLab. It might be helpful to seek assistance from experts or consult the MatLab documentation for more information on customizing plot layouts. In summary, the conversation discusses issues with the plot layout in a Thomson spectrometer simulation and suggests using various MatLab functions and properties to manually adjust the tick labels, axes size, and plot title position. It also advises seeking help from experts or referring to the MatLab documentation for further assistance.
1Keenan
Hi all,

I'm working on a simulation for some misurement with a Thomson spectrometer and I'm having some issue with the plot layout.
In x and y-axis I have magnetic and electric deflection and I have other two axis on top and right giving momentum and energy info.
I am not able to write the secondary tick label in the proper way: as defoult MatLab writes tick label as integer and a (x10^-12) at the end of the label but on the bottom of the screen. If I use:
Code:
set(gca, 'YTickLabel', num2str(get(gca,'YTick')','%d'))

it writes the tick label as "6.00000e^12" and I have some overlaps.

Moreover if I make the plot window bigger the secondary axes don't resize properly.
Last the plot title is written too high...

Could somebody help me in fixing this bugs?
Thanks

P.S.: I have attached two images with a screenshot and a jpg made by MatLab and the code I use for plot[/code]

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 344
  • plot5.jpg
    plot5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 395
  • plot_code.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could try using the 'XTickLabel' and 'YTickLabel' properties in combination with the 'xlabel' and 'ylabel' functions to manually set the tick labels. You could also use the 'Position' property of the axes to adjust the size of the axes. For the title, you could use the 'title' function to manually set the position of the title.

What is MatLab and how is it used in the context of plotting?

MatLab is a popular software program used for computational and numerical analysis. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis, visualization, and modeling. In the context of plotting, MatLab provides tools and functions for creating and customizing various types of plots and graphs.

What are some common issues that arise when plotting data from a Thomson Spectrometer in MatLab?

Some common issues when plotting data from a Thomson Spectrometer in MatLab include incorrect scaling or labeling of axes, missing or incomplete data points, and incorrect formatting of the data. These issues can often be resolved by carefully checking the data and using appropriate MatLab functions for plotting.

How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with my MatLab plots from a Thomson Spectrometer?

To troubleshoot and fix issues with MatLab plots from a Thomson Spectrometer, you can try plotting the data using different types of graphs, adjusting the axis limits and scaling, and using appropriate formatting options. It may also be helpful to consult the MatLab documentation or seek assistance from other users or experts in the field.

Why is it important to properly plot data from a Thomson Spectrometer in MatLab?

Properly plotting data from a Thomson Spectrometer in MatLab is important because it allows for accurate and meaningful analysis of the data. Plots can help identify patterns, trends, and anomalies in the data, which can provide valuable insights for research and experimentation. Additionally, well-designed plots can enhance the presentation and communication of scientific findings.

Are there any resources or tools available to help with MatLab plotting issues for Thomson Spectrometer data?

Yes, there are various resources and tools available to help with MatLab plotting issues for Thomson Spectrometer data. These include online tutorials, forums, and user communities where you can seek help and advice from experienced MatLab users. Additionally, MatLab itself offers documentation, demos, and support services to assist with data plotting and analysis.