Help with DTMF and MATLAB FFT - Digit Recognition

• Thread starter noname1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about using MATLAB and the fft command to figure out the digits in a DTMF signal. The speaker is having trouble understanding how to process the signal and view specific frequencies. They also discuss using the filter function and the fft documentation.
noname1
OP warned about not using homework template
i am trying to figure out digits in a dtmf signal using MATLAB with the fft command however i not sure how to figure out what digit is being pressed.

I am doing this

stem(abs(signal)) and get a plot with several digits pressed but not sure how to figure out which are pressed, any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
noname1 said:
i am trying to figure out digits in a dtmf signal using MATLAB with the fft command however i not sure how to figure out what digit is being pressed.

I am doing this

stem(abs(signal)) and get a plot with several digits pressed but not sure how to figure out which are pressed, any help would be appreciated
DTMF stands for dual tone multifrequency. Each key on the keypad causes two frequencies to be generated. With your stem plot, you should be getting two vertical bars for each DTMF tone.

For example, the frequencies for the '1' key are 697Hz and 1209Hz. See the table in the Keypad section here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-tone_multi-frequency_signaling.

thank you for your reply, i understand how dmtf works however the results i am getting are not making sense to me, for example i am getting this, not sure how to view the higher and lower frequencies

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 673
The difficulty is in working with several keys at the same time. Is there any way to look at the plot of one key at a time? Also, what's causing the spikes at around 6500 Hz and 7000 Hz? Those are DTMF signals.

not sure how to process that in matlab, i know how many samples and spacing per key how can i process just certain samples with fft?

i tried fft(singal,[],dim); where dimension is a vector [start:end] however i get an error

"Dimension argument must be a positive integer scalar within indexing range."

regarding the 6k and 7k spikes, not sure what they are because there is nothing in that rangethank you for your time in trying to explain it to me

i looked at that however i really don't understand how to do it by sections, in dimensions i tried using a vector with start:end but it always gives me the error above, could you explain how it works?

noname1 said:
i looked at that however i really don't understand how to do it by sections, in dimensions i tried using a vector with start:end but it always gives me the error above, could you explain how it works?
That dim argument needs to be a scalar value, not a vector. Your signal argument is a vector, right? You can call the fft function like this:
Code:
Result = fft(signal, N)
Here N is the number of elements in the signal vector. The documentation isn't as clear as it could be, and I don't have MATLAB to test things, but N might need to be a power of 2, like in the example on this doc page -- http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/fft.html.

1. What is DTMF and how is it used in digit recognition?

DTMF stands for Dual Tone Multi-Frequency and is the technology used in telephone systems for recognizing the digits dialed by a user. The keypad on a phone produces specific tones for each number, and a DTMF decoder can analyze these tones to determine the digit being dialed. In digit recognition, DTMF is used to identify and classify the digits in a given audio signal.

2. How does MATLAB FFT relate to DTMF and digit recognition?

MATLAB FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) is a mathematical algorithm used for analyzing signals and identifying their frequency components. In DTMF and digit recognition, the MATLAB FFT can be used to analyze the audio signal and isolate the specific frequencies associated with each digit. This information is then used to accurately identify and classify the digits in the signal.

3. Can DTMF and MATLAB FFT be used for any type of digit recognition, or are they limited to telephone systems?

While DTMF and MATLAB FFT are commonly used in telephone systems for digit recognition, they can also be applied to other types of digit recognition tasks. As long as the signals being analyzed follow the same principles as telephone signals (specific frequencies for each digit), DTMF and MATLAB FFT can be used for accurate digit recognition.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges when using DTMF and MATLAB FFT for digit recognition?

One limitation of using DTMF and MATLAB FFT for digit recognition is that the accuracy can be affected by background noise. If the audio signal contains a lot of noise, it may interfere with the specific frequencies associated with each digit and result in incorrect identification. Additionally, DTMF and MATLAB FFT may not be effective for digit recognition if the audio signal is heavily distorted or has a low signal-to-noise ratio.

5. Are there any other technologies or methods that can be used for digit recognition?

Yes, there are other technologies and methods that can be used for digit recognition, such as machine learning algorithms and neural networks. These methods often require a larger dataset for training and may be more accurate than using DTMF and MATLAB FFT. However, they may also be more complex and require more computational resources.