Help Maximize P=xyz with x+y=30, y+z=30, x,y,z>=0

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to maximize the function P=xyz, given the conditions x+y=30, y+z=30, and x,y, and z >= 0. By differentiating P when written in terms of x and setting it to 0, the solutions x=0 and x=20 are found. However, the solution x=20 results in a negative value for z, which contradicts the given condition. Therefore, the only valid solution is x=0, y=30, z=30, which gives a maximum value of P=0.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maximize P=xyz with x+y=30, y+z=30, and x,y, and z >= 0.
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
{
\\
y = 30 - x \\
\\
z = 30 - y\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,z = 30 - 30 - x = - x \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
This is a problem, because if z is negative x according to the question, they must both be 0 or positive. This isn't a problem if x = 0, and that's what I get as 1 of two solutions by differentiating P when written in terms of x, and setting it to 0.
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
P = x(30 - x)( - x) = \left( { - x} \right)^2 (30 - x) = - 30x^2 + x^3 \\
P = x^3 - 30x^2 \\
\\
P' = 3x^2 - 60x \\
P' = x(3x - 60) \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
[tex]
x = 0
[/tex]
and
[tex]
3x - 60 = 0\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,3x = 60\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,x = \frac{{60}}{3} = 20
[/tex]
The z=-x isn't a problem in the x=0 solution, but it is a problem in the x=20 solution. This gives me x=20, y=10, z=-20 P=xyz=-4000.

The back of the book gives x=20, y=10, z=20 P=4000.

If z >= 0 and I get -20 for z, I can't just switch it to positive, can I? Don't I have to discard that solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
Maximize P=xyz with x+y=30, y+z=30, and x,y, and z >= 0.
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
{
\\
y = 30 - x \\
\\
z = 30 - y\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,z = 30 - 30 - x = - x \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
This is a problem, because if z is negative x according to the question, they must both be 0 or positive.
Watch out! 30-y is NOT 30-30-x!
(you will go :cry: when you will see what I mean)

;-)

Pat

:cry:

30-(30-x)
30-30+x

:approve:

tony873004 said:
:cry:

30-(30-x)
30-30+x

:approve:
:biggrin: Yes...so z=x (which was clear from x+y = 30 and z+y = 30, wasn't it? :shy: )

yes it was, thanks!

What is the meaning of the equation P=xyz?

The equation P=xyz represents a mathematical expression for the product of three variables, x, y, and z. This equation is commonly used in optimization problems to find the maximum value of P.

What do the given constraints x+y=30, y+z=30, and x,y,z>=0 mean?

These constraints represent the limitations on the values of x, y, and z in the equation. The first two constraints indicate that the sum of x and y must be equal to 30, and the sum of y and z must also be equal to 30. The last constraint states that all three variables must be greater than or equal to 0.

How do I solve this equation to maximize P?

To solve this equation, you can use substitution or elimination methods to eliminate one variable and then find the remaining variables. Once you have the values for x, y, and z, you can plug them into the equation P=xyz to find the maximum value of P.

What is the significance of maximizing P in this equation?

In this context, maximizing P means finding the largest possible value for the product of x, y, and z. This can be useful in various scenarios, such as maximizing profits in a business or finding the maximum output in a production process.

Are there any real-world applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation has various real-world applications, such as in economics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to optimize resource allocation, production processes, and financial investments, among others.