1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with maximizing profit

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    [I've been on this problem for hours :( Someone please help.

A metal manufacturing company estimates that if x million dollars is spent on research and development (R&D) and y million dollars is spent on marketing, the total revenue from a material will be R=45x^0.04y^0.12 million dollars.

If the metal manufacturing company has exactly $50 million to devote to this new material, how should they allocate the money between R&D and marketing in order to maximize their profit?

What will this maximum profit be?

I'm just not sure how to approach this, it seems like such an easy problem. I know that x and y are non negative so I try to solve the constraint equation for one of the variables but I keep falling into a hole, any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have R(x, y) = 45x.04y.12 (million dollars)

You can write R as a function of one variable by using the fact that $50 million is to be spent on R&D and marketing.

4. May 7, 2010 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

x+y=50

To find x where R(x) is maximum: dR(x) / dx = 0 ===> Isolate x

[or to find y where R(y) is maximum: dR(y) / dy = 0 ===> Isolate y]

If have difficulties seeing the problem, plot the function R(x). You will see that at the value of x where R(x) is maximum, the derivative dR(x) / dx = 0, i.e. the slope is an horizontal line at that point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook