Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with mcnp modelling?

1. Jun 29, 2016 #1
    I'm currently working on a project using mcnp to model a HPGe detector with a Co-60 source. I have defined my cells and got my geometry spot on but the project requires me to move the source around about 50 different positions relative to the detector. I was wondering if there was any way to basically incorporate this into one input file to save me having to edit it 50 times and run it on 50 separate occasions? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2016 #2

Paul Colby

Gold Member

Don't know about mcnp in particular but 50 input files and a scripting language like bash or python would make short work of it. You could even run the jobs in parallel if multiple machines are to be had.

4. Jun 29, 2016 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I had the same thought this morning, but didn't respond. That's pretty much how folks do a series of computations, if not using Fortran or C++ with an interaction loop and 50 line input file.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted