Help with Mechanical/Engineering Drawings

• Thread starter vg19
  • Start date
In summary: When you draw the thing to its proper dimensions, you can then start adding the details. Start with the simplest things like lines for the edges of the object, and then work your way up to more complicated shapes. Always remember to take the perspective into account. If you make a line that appears to be farther away than it really is, the object will appear smaller than it really is. In summary, start by drawing the front bottom corner to get the angles set, then duplicate those dimensions and add the details. Remember to take the perspective into account.
vg19
Hey,

Im currently doing a design and graphics course, but the only problem is I am really really REALLY poor at visualization. I can't go from a orthographic multi-view (top, front, side) to an isometric drawing. Just wondering if anyone knows a good online site that explains how to go from the multiview to an isometric drawing for beginers. Also, are there any sites that with good visualization excercises?

Thanks sooooooooo much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't help with sites or anything, but I can make a suggestion that might be of some use. If you start by doing the opposite (picturing isometrics as 3-views) a lot, a relationship will become part of your normal mindset. At some point, reversing the process might just be as easy. After all, if you get used to converting imperial measures to metric, converting back isn't so hard.

It can come with practice. Keep plugging away at it. You can get through it with reaoning and logic. You don't have to have any mystical sight to do this. You simply have to do it enough to get comfortable with it.

I've no idea about sites, but i was good at it and i worked with many people who had trouble with it...

What worked really for me that I've always imagined it as an isometric 3-d, but that was me, many people weren't able to do it still, so my suggestion is that, the main point in any engineering drawing is to " Never loose a point"

Keep in ur mind that a point in any plane must exit twice on the form of a line or dotted line on the other planes, there r sometimes we ignore the dotted lines, but still...There's always a point and two equivalent lines, always track these things, check the points on each view, and then check the lines...Of course things would be much easier if u woked ur imagination a bit.

Thanks for the tips. I think my biggest problem is that I don't know where to start and what to look for. I attached an example. If you could explain to me what I should be looking for and what steps I should take to draw the isometric, I would really really appricieate it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• exp1.JPG
    exp1.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 438
vg19 said:
Thanks for the tips. I think my biggest problem is that I don't know where to start and what to look for.
I always start by drawing the front bottom corner to get the angles set. Since I do perspective drawing for my cartoons or technical sketches, I can't recall the proper angles to use. The guide lines will look sort of like a down-pointing arrow. Two things to remember are that 1) no matter what angles you use for the front and side faces of the thing, all vertical lines remain vertical and 2) since perspective isn't used in technical isometrics, the thing will appear distorted when drawn to the proper dimensions. Those dimensions, of course, are duplicates of the ones in the orthorgraphic.

What is the purpose of mechanical/engineering drawings?

Mechanical/engineering drawings are used to communicate detailed information about a design or product. These drawings provide accurate dimensions, tolerances, materials, and other specifications that are necessary for the manufacturing process.

What are the different types of mechanical/engineering drawings?

The most common types of mechanical/engineering drawings include assembly drawings, detail drawings, and fabrication drawings. Assembly drawings show how different parts fit together, detail drawings provide specific information about individual parts, and fabrication drawings provide information for the manufacturing process.

What software is used to create mechanical/engineering drawings?

The most commonly used software for creating mechanical/engineering drawings is computer-aided design (CAD) software. Some popular CAD programs include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and CATIA. These programs allow for precise and detailed drawings to be created and easily edited.

What information should be included in a mechanical/engineering drawing?

A mechanical/engineering drawing should include dimensions, tolerances, materials, views (such as front, top, and side views), and any necessary notes or specifications. It is important for all information to be accurate and clearly labeled to ensure the design or product can be manufactured correctly.

Why are mechanical/engineering drawings important?

Mechanical/engineering drawings are important because they provide a detailed and accurate representation of a design or product. These drawings are essential for communication between engineers, designers, and manufacturers, and help ensure that the final product meets all necessary specifications and requirements.