Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Mechanical/Engineering Drawings

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    Hey,

Im currently doing a design and graphics course, but the only problem is Im really really REALLY poor at visualization. I can't go from a orthographic multi-view (top, front, side) to an isometric drawing. Just wondering if anyone knows a good online site that explains how to go from the multiview to an isometric drawing for beginers. Also, are there any sites that with good visualization excercises?

Thanks sooooooooo much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I can't help with sites or anything, but I can make a suggestion that might be of some use. If you start by doing the opposite (picturing isometrics as 3-views) a lot, a relationship will become part of your normal mindset. At some point, reversing the process might just be as easy. After all, if you get used to converting imperial measures to metric, converting back isn't so hard.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It can come with practice. Keep plugging away at it. You can get through it with reaoning and logic. You don't have to have any mystical sight to do this. You simply have to do it enough to get comfortable with it.

5. Oct 14, 2005 #4
    I've no idea about sites, but i was good at it and i worked with many people who had trouble with it...

What worked really for me that i've always imagined it as an isometric 3-d, but that was me, many people weren't able to do it still, so my suggestion is that, the main point in any engineering drawing is to " Never loose a point"

Keep in ur mind that a point in any plane must exit twice on the form of a line or dotted line on the other planes, there r sometimes we ignore the dotted lines, but still...There's always a point and two equivalent lines, always track these things, check the points on each view, and then check the lines...Of course things would be much easier if u woked ur imagination a bit.

6. Oct 14, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the tips. I think my biggest problem is that I dont know where to start and what to look for. I attached an example. If you could explain to me what I should be looking for and what steps I should take to draw the isometric, I would really really appricieate it.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

7. Oct 14, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I always start by drawing the front bottom corner to get the angles set. Since I do perspective drawing for my cartoons or technical sketches, I can't recall the proper angles to use. The guide lines will look sort of like a down-pointing arrow. Two things to remember are that 1) no matter what angles you use for the front and side faces of the thing, all vertical lines remain vertical and 2) since perspective isn't used in technical isometrics, the thing will appear distorted when drawn to the proper dimensions. Those dimensions, of course, are duplicates of the ones in the orthorgraphic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?