1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Mechanics

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a car of 1000kg tows a caravan of mass 600kg up a road which rises 1 m vertically for every
    20 m of its lenght. there are constant frictional resistant forces of 200 N and 100 N to the motion of the car and the motion of the caravan respectively. the combination has an acceleration of 1.2 m/s^2 with the engine exerting a constant driving force. find (a) the driving force, (b) the tension in the tow bar. (g= 10 m/s^2)

2. Relevant equations

F=m*a

3. The attempt at a solution

using F=m*a i multiplied the combined mass (1600kg) * 1.2 m/s^2 and got 1920 N i dont think that is right the method seems to be too easy plus i know that something about the rising of the road by 1m for every 20m of its lenght should be used to calculate the driving force as for the tension i dont know how to start it

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Mechanics

Remember it is not F=ma, it's F_net =ma. That means the net force up the plane is 1920N. You need to draw a free body diagram of the car-caravan system to find all the forces acting on the system. Along (parallel to) the incline, the driving force is just one of those forces. What are the others , and in what direction to they act? The algebraic sum of those forces is the NET force acting up the incline. (Hint: there are also friction and components of the gravity forces acting along the incline).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook