Simple and Reliable Metering Solutions for Sorting M&Ms in Kinetic Sculptures

• Thread starter Involute
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is working on a kinetic sculpture that sorts M&Ms by color. They have the color ID and sorting parts figured out, but are struggling with a reliable mechanism for metering the M&Ms individually. Their current approach, using an internal Geneva wheel with holes around the perimeter, occasionally causes jams due to M&M fragments. They are open to alternative ideas that are simple and reliable, such as using a sieve to filter out fragments before passing the M&Ms through the hopper.
Involute
I make computer-controlled kinetic sculpture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFNG-sxLnM8" one of my pieces). I'm working on a piece that will sort M&Ms by color. I've got the color ID and sorting parts under control, but I'm having trouble coming up with a simple and reliable mechanism for metering them individually out of the hopper and over the color sensor (which looks up at the bottom of each M&M).

My latest approach has been to use an http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Internal_Geneva_wheel_ani.gif" with holes around the perimeter. Attached is a sketch of an early design. From a practical standpoint, the current version is identical. The problem is occasionally an M&M fragment gets in the hole and prevents a whole M&M from sitting flat, causing it to jam when the wheel tries to drive it under the triangular shaped diverter you can see in the sketch (see the other attachment). While I'm trying to fix this, I thought I'd reach out to the community and see if anyone has a better idea. I'm not wedded to the Geneva wheel approach, so don't feel you have to stick with that. All I ask is that it be simple and reliable.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• HopperAboveCrop.jpg
    HopperAboveCrop.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 512
  • Jam.jpg
    Jam.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 509
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If your problem is bits and fragments of M&M's, you could shake your M&M's over a simple sieve before passing them through your hopper. The sieve holes should be just under the diameter of the M&M's so that any fragments will fall through but the whole pieces will pass.

1. How do I measure the weight of M&Ms?

To measure the weight of M&Ms, you can use a kitchen scale or a gram scale. Place a small bowl on the scale and press the tare button to reset the weight to zero. Then, pour the M&Ms into the bowl until you reach the desired weight.

2. What is the best method for counting a large number of M&Ms?

The best method for counting a large number of M&Ms is to use a counting tray or a counting machine. These tools have small indentations or holes that allow you to easily count and separate the M&Ms.

3. How can I ensure that the M&Ms are evenly distributed in my experiment?

To ensure even distribution of M&Ms in an experiment, you can use a random sampling method. This involves scooping a handful of M&Ms from the bag and placing them in a random pattern on a flat surface. Repeat this process multiple times to ensure that the M&Ms are evenly distributed.

4. Is it necessary to use a specific type of M&M for experiments?

No, it is not necessary to use a specific type of M&M for experiments. However, it is important to use the same type and size of M&M throughout your experiment to maintain consistency and accuracy in your results.

5. Can I reuse the same M&Ms for multiple experiments?

It is not recommended to reuse the same M&Ms for multiple experiments. The M&Ms may become contaminated or altered during the first experiment, which can affect the results of subsequent experiments. It is best to use new M&Ms for each experiment.