• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Help with Minimum Area

• Thread starter karisrou
  • Start date
1) A cardboard box of 32in^3 volume with a square base and open top is to be constructed. Find the minimum area of cardboard needed.

Since it has a square base, length and width must be the same, variable b for base.

So volume could be written as: hb^2=32 and surface area as b^2+4bh=min.

Once I get here, I''m not quite sure what to do.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

You want to get your minimum as a function of one variable. Use substitution to make that happen.

Alright cool. I've got b^2 + 128/b^2 = min

Should I take the derivative now?

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You might want to make sure that's correct before you take the derivative. You've got h*b^2=32 and you want to minimize b^2+4*b*h. Are you sure that means b^2+128/b^2 should be minimized?

But aren't I supposed to substitute h into b2 + 4bh? and then solve for the critical point? Or would I just take the derivative of that? And then if thats what I'm supposed to do, do i take the derivative in relation to b or h?

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
But aren't I supposed to substitute h into b2 + 4bh? and then solve for the critical point? Or would I just take the derivative of that? And then if thats what I'm supposed to do, do i take the derivative in relation to b or h?
You are supposed to do exactly that thing. But are you sure substituting h=32/b^2 into b^2+4hb gives you b^2+128/b^2?

Right, so b2 + 4b(32/b2)

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128b/b2

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128/b

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
so 2b - 128/b2

and then would you multiply everything by b2 to clear the denominator? giving you 2b3 - 128 = 0
So b = 3rt64

So 4?

Then if b = 4

h must equal 2, per substitution into the original equation.

So then the areas of the sides are 8, and the base is 16, so the total area is 8 x 4 + 16 = 48

Is this right?

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It looks good to me. But I've made mistakes before. Never hurts to double check. Seem ok to you?

Yeah, everything looks right. Thanks very much for your help!

Right, so b2 + 4b(32/b2)

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128b/b2

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128/b
It would be a very good idea to work with equations, in part to help keep you focused on what you're doing.

You're trying to minimize the area as a function of b, or A(b) = b2 + 4b(32/b2) = b2 + 128/b

Then when you take the derivative, you get A'(b) = 2b - 128/b2

To find the critical point, you're going to set A'(b) to 0, so 2b - 128/b2 = 0
You can multiply both sides of that equation by b2 to get 2b3 - 128 = 0, and you can then solve that equation for b.