Help with Minimum Area

In summary, to find the minimum area of cardboard needed for a cardboard box with a volume of 32in^3 and a square base and open top, set the surface area as a function of base, A(b) = b^2 + 128/b, and take the derivative to get A'(b) = 2b - 128/b^2. Set A'(b) to 0 and solve for b to find the critical point. The minimum area is 48in^2 when the base is 4in and the height is 2in.
karisrou
1) A cardboard box of 32in^3 volume with a square base and open top is to be constructed. Find the minimum area of cardboard needed.

Since it has a square base, length and width must be the same, variable b for base.

So volume could be written as: hb^2=32 and surface area as b^2+4bh=min.

Once I get here, I''m not quite sure what to do.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to get your minimum as a function of one variable. Use substitution to make that happen.

Alright cool. I've got b^2 + 128/b^2 = min

Should I take the derivative now?

You might want to make sure that's correct before you take the derivative. You've got h*b^2=32 and you want to minimize b^2+4*b*h. Are you sure that means b^2+128/b^2 should be minimized?

But aren't I supposed to substitute h into b2 + 4bh? and then solve for the critical point? Or would I just take the derivative of that? And then if that's what I'm supposed to do, do i take the derivative in relation to b or h?

karisrou said:
But aren't I supposed to substitute h into b2 + 4bh? and then solve for the critical point? Or would I just take the derivative of that? And then if that's what I'm supposed to do, do i take the derivative in relation to b or h?

You are supposed to do exactly that thing. But are you sure substituting h=32/b^2 into b^2+4hb gives you b^2+128/b^2?

Right, so b2 + 4b(32/b2)

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128b/b2

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128/b

karisrou said:
Right, so b2 + 4b(32/b2)

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128b/b2

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128/b

Right. Now take the derivative.

so 2b - 128/b2

and then would you multiply everything by b2 to clear the denominator? giving you 2b3 - 128 = 0
So b = 3rt64

So 4?

Then if b = 4

h must equal 2, per substitution into the original equation.

So then the areas of the sides are 8, and the base is 16, so the total area is 8 x 4 + 16 = 48

Is this right?

It looks good to me. But I've made mistakes before. Never hurts to double check. Seem ok to you?

Yeah, everything looks right. Thanks very much for your help!

karisrou said:
Right, so b2 + 4b(32/b2)

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128b/b2

Which simplifies to

b2 + 128/b

It would be a very good idea to work with equations, in part to help keep you focused on what you're doing.

You're trying to minimize the area as a function of b, or A(b) = b2 + 4b(32/b2) = b2 + 128/b

Then when you take the derivative, you get A'(b) = 2b - 128/b2

To find the critical point, you're going to set A'(b) to 0, so 2b - 128/b2 = 0
You can multiply both sides of that equation by b2 to get 2b3 - 128 = 0, and you can then solve that equation for b.

What is the concept of Minimum Area?

Minimum area is the smallest amount of space that an object, shape, or figure can occupy while still maintaining its original dimensions and properties.

Why is Minimum Area important in science?

Minimum area is important in science because it allows for accurate measurements and comparisons between different objects or systems. This is crucial for understanding the properties and behaviors of various natural phenomena.

How is Minimum Area calculated?

Minimum Area is typically calculated by finding the product of the length and width of an object or shape. In more complex cases, such as irregular shapes, it may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

What are some real-life applications of Minimum Area?

Minimum area has numerous real-life applications, including determining the most efficient use of space in architecture and urban planning, optimizing the design of electronic circuits and microchips, and measuring the biodiversity of ecosystems.

Can Minimum Area be used to solve practical problems?

Yes, Minimum Area can be used to solve practical problems in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, biology, and economics. It is a versatile concept that can be applied in many different contexts to improve our understanding of the world.