Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with model rocket

1. Jan 18, 2015 #1
    I am trying to build a model rocket for a contest. It goes up as a rocket but comes down as a glider. Vertical takeoff. Does not jettison any parts. Should glide down in large slow graceful circles. Judged based on total hang time. I have been able to avoid a outright nose dive by putting the cp really close behind the cg, but haven't achieved a glide. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Wings? ;)

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3
    Yes they are an option. I used a long flat balsa wood wing but the wood snapped a short distance from the body during liftoff

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If you're looking to have it glide, wings are not an "option"; they are mandatory.

(Well, I suppose alternately you could have a parachute.)

6. Jan 19, 2015 #5
    parachute not allowed

7. Jan 19, 2015 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How do you expect to achieve any glide if you are still considering wings as optional?

8. Jan 19, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

To expand on what Dave said (which is certainly true) can you see a way to arrange wings so that they don't snap off at liftoff but DO have an effect on the way down? I see one immediate solution that I believe could be made to work

9. Jan 22, 2015 #8
    You can launch whit rocket something like this (rocket propelled UAV) dependent on rockets useful payload mass:
    AIR_UAV_Skylark-I-LE_from_Below_lg.jpg

Alternatively you can use servos ,larger wings and remote controller to control flight
    9b0413cc14dff51eacf87811b35456a9.jpg

10. Jan 22, 2015 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Violates the condition of vertical takeoff.
    Violates the condition of coming back like a glider.

I realize you are being creative here, but you are not answering the question as asked. I have taken the requirements as being part of the problem to be solved.

11. Jan 22, 2015 #10
    Can you design it so that the wings will fold up and deploy when the rocket is falling? I know that some rockets deploy a parachute with a small detonation, so maybe you can use that to forcibly deploy some wings.

12. Jan 22, 2015 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is what I was trying to lead the OP to (the deployment, although not quite your method), rather than spoon-feeding him the solution, since spoon-feeding is frowned on here on PF.

13. Jan 22, 2015 #12
    Sorry @phinds! I didn't catch what you were trying to do. I guess subtlety isn't my strong suit. I figured the real challenge would be to design the vehicle for a long hang time, not in coming up with mechanisms for deployment. To me, ideas are a dime a dozen, but implementation is going to be where Eliott will really have to stretch and think.

14. Jan 22, 2015 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, I sometimes get carried away too by my interest in a problem and coming up with a solution and forget that we're here to help folks figure out how to do that for themselves. I often have to bite my tongue, so to speak, so I know where you're coming from. And yes, you're right that implementation will be non-trivial but you DO have to figure out first just what it is that you want to implement and that's what I wanted to lead him to.

15. Jan 22, 2015 #14
    Phinds- next I will try having them make shorter, and I guess tapered.
    Dave- I meant they are allowed
    Time- it's not allowed to change shape significantly

16. Jan 23, 2015 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hm ... not sure that will do the job. I had in mind a variation on the reaper's suggestion ... wings that are unobtrusive at liftoff but spread out at apogee

17. Jan 23, 2015 #16
    Aileron allowed ?

18. Jan 23, 2015 #17

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is this? Something from a BOMARC missile design competition from the 50s? Hit the library for old "Jane's" and start looking at Snark, Matador, Bomarc, designs.

19. Jan 23, 2015 #18
    Wings which fold out sounds like a good idea. Could also use swept wings as the stabilizers during launch configuration. Once at max altitude the swept wings could fold out (like on the F-14) into a more or less glider configuration. You will need a second set of stabilizers behind the main wing though for flight stability.

20. Jan 24, 2015 #19
    Well, since I let the cat out of the bag, here's a US military adaptation of this kind of rocket/plane:

-- watch 46:08-46:50
    -- for a more promotional video,

You could do something along these lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook