Help with model rocket

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am trying to build a model rocket for a contest. It goes up as a rocket but comes down as a glider. Vertical takeoff. Does not jettison any parts. Should glide down in large slow graceful circles. Judged based on total hang time. I have been able to avoid a outright nose dive by putting the cp really close behind the cg, but haven't achieved a glide. Any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Wings? ;)

Yes they are an option. I used a long flat balsa wood wing but the wood snapped a short distance from the body during liftoff

DaveC426913
Gold Member
If you're looking to have it glide, wings are not an "option"; they are mandatory.

(Well, I suppose alternately you could have a parachute.)

parachute not allowed

DaveC426913
Gold Member
How do you expect to achieve any glide if you are still considering wings as optional?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
To expand on what Dave said (which is certainly true) can you see a way to arrange wings so that they don't snap off at liftoff but DO have an effect on the way down? I see one immediate solution that I believe could be made to work

You can launch whit rocket something like this (rocket propelled UAV) dependent on rockets useful payload mass:
AIR_UAV_Skylark-I-LE_from_Below_lg.jpg

Alternatively you can use servos ,larger wings and remote controller to control flight
9b0413cc14dff51eacf87811b35456a9.jpg

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
You can launch whit rocket something like this (rocket propelled UAV) dependent on rockets useful payload mass:
Violates the condition of vertical takeoff.
Alternatively you can use servos ,larger wings and remote controller to control flight
Violates the condition of coming back like a glider.

I realize you are being creative here, but you are not answering the question as asked. I have taken the requirements as being part of the problem to be solved.

Can you design it so that the wings will fold up and deploy when the rocket is falling? I know that some rockets deploy a parachute with a small detonation, so maybe you can use that to forcibly deploy some wings.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Can you design it so that the wings will fold up and deploy when the rocket is falling? I know that some rockets deploy a parachute with a small detonation, so maybe you can use that to forcibly deploy some wings.
This is what I was trying to lead the OP to (the deployment, although not quite your method), rather than spoon-feeding him the solution, since spoon-feeding is frowned on here on PF.

This is what I was trying to lead the OP to (the deployment, although not quite your method), rather than spoon-feeding him the solution, since spoon-feeding is frowned on here on PF.
Sorry @phinds! I didn't catch what you were trying to do. I guess subtlety isn't my strong suit. I figured the real challenge would be to design the vehicle for a long hang time, not in coming up with mechanisms for deployment. To me, ideas are a dime a dozen, but implementation is going to be where Eliott will really have to stretch and think.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Sorry @phinds! I didn't catch what you were trying to do. I guess subtlety isn't my strong suit. I figured the real challenge would be to design the vehicle for a long hang time, not in coming up with mechanisms for deployment. To me, ideas are a dime a dozen, but implementation is going to be where Eliott will really have to stretch and think.
Yeah, I sometimes get carried away too by my interest in a problem and coming up with a solution and forget that we're here to help folks figure out how to do that for themselves. I often have to bite my tongue, so to speak, so I know where you're coming from. And yes, you're right that implementation will be non-trivial but you DO have to figure out first just what it is that you want to implement and that's what I wanted to lead him to.

Phinds- next I will try having them make shorter, and I guess tapered.
Dave- I meant they are allowed
Time- it's not allowed to change shape significantly

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Phinds- next I will try having them make shorter, and I guess tapered.
Dave- I meant they are allowed
Time- it's not allowed to change shape significantly
Hm ... not sure that will do the job. I had in mind a variation on the reaper's suggestion ... wings that are unobtrusive at liftoff but spread out at apogee

Aileron allowed ?

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
not allowed to change shape significantly
What is this? Something from a BOMARC missile design competition from the 50s? Hit the library for old "Jane's" and start looking at Snark, Matador, Bomarc, designs.

Wings which fold out sounds like a good idea. Could also use swept wings as the stabilizers during launch configuration. Once at max altitude the swept wings could fold out (like on the F-14) into a more or less glider configuration. You will need a second set of stabilizers behind the main wing though for flight stability.

Well, since I let the cat out of the bag, here's a US military adaptation of this kind of rocket/plane:

-- watch 46:08-46:50
-- for a more promotional video,

You could do something along these lines.