Help with moment of inertia

In summary: Which is just the moment of inertia of a cylinder of radius R, height h, and uniform density: πδR2h3.
ilikephysics
I don't understand how to do the follow problem so I was hoping that someone could possibly explain it to me with a possible example. thanks

Problem:

Find the position of the center of mass of a right circular cone which has a base of radius a, a height h, a mass M, and uniform density. Find the moment of inertia of the cone for rotations about an axis through its tip and the center of the circle making up its base.

Physics news on Phys.org
help please

Will someone please help me?

You know what the volume of the cone is?

Imagine a plane chopping off the top of the cone at a distance d from the tip and parallel to the base. you know its volume in terms of d - its base can be found from simple geometry: imagine a cross section going through th vertical axis the ratio of d to the raduis of the base of the smaller cone is the same as the ratio of the height to the radius of the base of the large cone.

now find the d that makes that volume half of the volume of the larger cone.

as for the moment of inertia, well if you couldn't do the previous one, i need to know that you 1. know the formula for moment on inertia 2. can do triple integrals, and 3. know about cylindrical polar coordinates (to make life easier).

Are you telling us that you have never ever seen any problems like this? There are absolutely no formulas or examples in your textbook?
Remarkable!

What your teacher and textbook are hiding from you is that the center of mass has the property that each of its coordinates, x for example, times the mass is equal to the integral of that coordinate, x in this case, times density, over the volume.

Likewise, the moment of inertia, of rotation about an axis, is the integral of "distance from axis", squared" times density integrated over the volume.

Example: a cylinder of radius R, height h, uniform density.
(Since the density is uniform, it is a constant, δ.)

The mass is the integral of δ over volume which, since δ is a constant is just δtimes the volume: δπR2h.
To find the x-coordinate of the center of mass integrate xδ over that same volume: [tex]\int\int\int \delta x dV [/tex]

Since this is a cylinder, I would recommend cylindrical coordinates:
x= r cosθ y= r sinθ and dV= rdrdθdz.

The integral is [tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{r=0}^R\int_{z=0}^h \delta r^2 cos\theta drd\thetadz [/tex]. That turns out to be easy because
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} cos\theta d\theta= 0[/tex]. We have δπr2h x= 0 so x= 0.

Similarly the y coordinate of the center of mass is 0 (that should not be a surprise).

To find the z coordinate do almost exactly the same thing: find
[tex]\int_\theta=0^{2\pi} \int_r=0^R\int_z=0^h \delta r z drd\thetadz [/tex] (x= r cosθ has been replaced by z)
[tex]\int_0^R r dr= \frac{1}{2}R^2 [/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} d\theta= 2\pi [/tex] and
[tex]\int_0^h zdz= \frac{1}{2}h^2[/tex].

The integral is (1/2)πδR2h2
dividing by the "mass",δπR2h, we get the z-coordinate of the center of mass (1/2)h (again, no great surprise).

To find the moment of inertia, with the axis of rotation the "main" axis (through the centers of the two ends) we note that the distance of any point to that axis is just r itself so we need to integrate r2: the integral is
[tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{r=0}^R\int_{z=0}^h \delta r^3 dr d\theta dz [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps determine an object's rotational stability and how it will respond to external forces or torques. It is also used in calculations for rotational energy and angular momentum.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each infinitesimal mass element and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. The formula for moment of inertia is I = ∫r² dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the infinitesimal mass element.

What factors affect moment of inertia?

The mass distribution of an object and the axis of rotation are the two main factors that affect moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but a more compact mass distribution.

How can moment of inertia be changed?

Moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass distribution of an object or by changing the axis of rotation. For example, a figure skater can change their moment of inertia by pulling in their arms to their body, decreasing their mass distribution and thus increasing their rotation speed.