Optimizing Movable Joint Parts for Slider Crank Mechanisms

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the appropriate bolts and nuts for a slider crank mechanism. The suggested options include carriage bolts with nylon lock nuts, shoulder bolts, and castle nuts with cotter pins or 'stover nuts'. The individual also mentions using a sleeve over a carriage bolt with washers for added security.
Guest312
I want to make a simple slider crank mechanism. I don't know what type of bolts or whatever is used for movable arms. I've heard online so far that using a carage bolt and nylon lock nut will work, but I bet there's probably other ways to make a movable joint. Something more secure. I'm sure they don't use Nylon lock nuts with carriage bolts with robotic arms. I want to make a shaker. It's not for school if you can clearly see by my DOB, and profile image.

Hunted000626.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
you might want to look into "Shoulder bolts" to start with.. they're hardened and ground to precise tolerances
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoulder+bolt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=mYi3VtiZFcrKjwPsibSgAw

otherwise, depending on if you're doubling up some of the arms, you can use a sleeve over a carriage bolt with washers on each side.. for nuts, Nylon locking nuts are a good start, but perhaps castle nuts with cotter pins or 'stover nuts' which are specifically designed for heavy shock and vibration loads.

Likes Sirsh and Guest312
Rx7man said:
you might want to look into "Shoulder bolts" to start with.. they're hardened and ground to precise tolerances
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoulder+bolt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=mYi3VtiZFcrKjwPsibSgAw

otherwise, depending on if you're doubling up some of the arms, you can use a sleeve over a carriage bolt with washers on each side.. for nuts, Nylon locking nuts are a good start, but perhaps castle nuts with cotter pins or 'stover nuts' which are specifically designed for heavy shock and vibration loads.

Excellent, thanks for help Rx7. Much appreciated.

1. What are movable joint parts?

Movable joint parts are parts of the skeletal system that allow for movement at the joints. They include bones, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage.

2. How do movable joint parts work?

Movable joint parts work by connecting bones at the joints and allowing them to move in various directions. Ligaments hold bones together, tendons attach muscles to bones, and cartilage provides cushioning and smooth movement.

3. What are the different types of movable joint parts?

There are three main types of movable joint parts: synovial joints, cartilaginous joints, and fibrous joints. Synovial joints allow for the most movement and can be found in areas like the knees, elbows, and shoulders. Cartilaginous joints have less movement and can be found in areas like the spine. Fibrous joints have the least movement and can be found in areas like the skull.

4. Why are movable joint parts important?

Movable joint parts are important because they allow for movement and flexibility in the body. They also protect bones and help absorb shock during physical activity.

5. How can I take care of my movable joint parts?

To take care of your movable joint parts, it is important to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, exercise regularly, and avoid activities that put excessive strain on your joints. Stretching before and after physical activity can also help keep your joints flexible and reduce the risk of injury.