Scientifically Realistic Plot Help for Children's Book

• Thread starter C4ndy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the author is seeking help to make a plot line involving a teenage boy escaping an electric fence in a children's book scientifically realistic. Research suggests using a thick blanket as insulation and finding a way to take out the power without setting off the alarm. Another possibility is for the protagonist to lay a jumper in parallel with the fence using other objects to avoid disrupting the current. However, this solution may have its own limitations.
C4ndy
Hello,
I'm a children's author and I would really like some help with making one of my plot lines scientifically realistic (ish). I need a (very smart) teenage boy to escape either over or through an electric fence (the kind designed to keep prisoners in rather than cattle). Any help would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did a quick search. You basically need something to use as insulation like a thick blanket. The problem is that electric fences are also designed to set off an alarm if you mess with them. They are usually horizontal wires that "stretch" (spring loaded) and even if you do not get a shock and disturb the current, one way of setting off the alarm, if current jumps wires due to proximity/touching that will set off the alarm too.

I'd say having your protagonist (I am assuming it is the protagonist) playing with an electric fence in a kids book is a bad idea. Best advice is probably to have him find some way of taking out the power. No shocks, no alarms, and general confusion from a power outage is probably good strategy for an escape.

Within the scope of "realistic-ish", the protagonist could use some other objects, (wire, coathanger, insulated cutting apparatus, ect.) to lay a jumper in parallel with the electric fence at all points, so when he cuts through the current is not disturbed.

(Yes I know the problem with this..., but it's realistic-ish)

1. What is the importance of scientific accuracy in a children's book?

Scientific accuracy is important in a children's book because it helps to educate young readers about the world and encourages critical thinking. It also helps to build a foundation of understanding for more complex scientific concepts in the future.

2. How can I incorporate scientific concepts into a children's book in a fun and engaging way?

One way to incorporate scientific concepts into a children's book is through storytelling and using relatable characters and scenarios. This can make the information more interesting and easier for children to understand and remember.

3. What age range should I target for a children's book with scientific themes?

The age range for a children's book with scientific themes can vary, but it is generally recommended for children ages 5-12. However, it is important to consider the complexity of the scientific concepts and tailor the book accordingly.

4. How can I ensure that the scientific information in my book is accurate?

One way to ensure scientific accuracy in a children's book is to consult with experts in the specific scientific field or have a science educator review the book. It is also important to do thorough research and fact-checking.

5. Can I include illustrations or diagrams to help explain scientific concepts?

Yes, including illustrations or diagrams can be a great way to help children understand and visualize scientific concepts. However, it is important to ensure that they are accurate and align with the information presented in the text.