Help with My Rig: Realistic Expectations for Accurate Results?

• Thread starter arduidiot
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is currently developing programming and experimental methodology at home before returning to university. They are building a main interface to house micro controllers that will be connected to a PC running an oscilloscope. The speaker has built a switch board with four groups for different output voltages and plans to connect them to separate inverter circuitry systems to safely measure the output voltage. They want this setup to have a systematic way of observing and recording electrical properties, as building measurement apparatus on the fly is becoming disorganized. The speaker is wondering if this indirect measurement will provide accurate results and what the voltage limit for potential errors would be. They mention staying below 60V for safety. They also discuss designing a central hub for remote control of the
arduidiot
Hi Guys,

i am going back to uni next year or at some point but am currently developing programming and experimental methodology at home until i feel I am way ahead of things.

Before even conducting any experiments i am building a main interface that houses the micro controllers which will be connected to a pc that runs an oscilloscope via the analog inputs of the MCs writing to the serial ports for the C programs I've write to display the real time voltage of each.

I have built a sort of switch board which I've designed to be separated into 4 groups
HIGH1 (OUTPUT > 400 v)
HIGH2 (240- 120 V OUTPUT)
LOW1 (80 - 40 V)
LOW2 ( < 24 V )

My plan is to connect these 4 to separate inverter circuitry systems that step down the output voltage coming from each of the "experiment subject output" to less than 9 V so to be safely connected to the micro controller input pins and i can then program their serial data logging code to scale the output data up by the corresponding factor for which each channel has been stepped down in voltage for the purpose of measurement, hence giving me the value of the output voltage of that my 'arbitary test subject' is producing at the other end of the line.

As you might have guessed, i want this kind of setup as to have a systematic way of observing and recording electrical properties of things i build from the one interface systematically, as just building measurement apparatus on the fly is rapidly turning the workshop into complete disarray, where by it becomes difficult to move about in there!

Basically my question is, is it realistic to expect accurate results from this kind of indirect measurement and if not what would be the voltage limit for which it will be to erroneous.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd suggest just buying an oscilloscope. That microcontroller -> serial bus -> PC idea is going to severely limit your maximum sampling rate. The resolution of the built-in ADC of the microcontroller will probably also be less than or equal to 12 bits. I guess it depends on what you're measuring, but even a cheap USB scope would probably serve you better.

arduidiot said:
I have built a sort of switch board which I've designed to be separated into 4 groups
HIGH1 (OUTPUT > 400 v)
LOW1 (80 - 40 V)
LOW2 ( < 24 V )

My plan is to connect these 4 to separate inverter circuitry systems that step down the output voltage ...
An inverter is a DC-to-AC converter. You're talking about a DC-to-DC converter or a transformer, but those are typically used in power conversion. You'll need something different for instrumentation. (Edit: Just to clarify, it seems like you're talking about power converter topologies instead of measurement instrumentation. There exists, for instance, transformers for use in instrumentation, but they're built differently from their power converter counterparts).

Those voltages are very high. Do you have experience in designing systems for voltages in that range?

Last edited:
arduidiot said:
Hi Guys,

i am going back to uni next year or at some point but am currently developing programming and experimental methodology at home until i feel I am way ahead of things.

Before even conducting any experiments i am building a main interface that houses the micro controllers which will be connected to a pc that runs an oscilloscope via the analog inputs of the MCs writing to the serial ports for the C programs I've write to display the real time voltage of each.

HIGH1 (OUTPUT > 400 v)
LOW1 (80 - 40 V)
LOW2 ( < 24 V )

My plan is to connect these 4 to separate inverter circuitry systems that step down the output voltage coming from each of the "experiment subject output" to less than 9 V so to be safely connected to the micro controller input pins and i can then program their serial data logging code to scale the output data up by the corresponding factor for which each channel has been stepped down in voltage for the purpose of measurement, hence giving me the value of the output voltage of that my 'arbitary test subject' is producing at the other end of the line.

As you might have guessed, i want this kind of setup as to have a systematic way of observing and recording electrical properties of things i build from the one interface systematically, as just building measurement apparatus on the fly is rapidly turning the workshop into complete disarray, where by it becomes difficult to move about in there!

Basically my question is, is it realistic to expect accurate results from this kind of indirect measurement and if not what would be the voltage limit for which it will be to erroneous.

You should stay below SELV = 60V to be safe for now. You do know what SELV is, right?

sorry yes i meant converter. the voltage ranges i mentioned for example's sake, at the moment I've restricted myself to less than or equal to 24 VAC. I am basically in the process of designing a central hub which can change the I/O state of the subject circuit i want to analyze remotely, ( no geographically i mean i can toggle the state remotely from interface software i write on the pc.

As a scientist, it is important to have realistic expectations for the accuracy of your results. In this case, it is important to consider the potential sources of error in your setup and how they may affect the accuracy of your measurements. For example, using multiple conversion steps to measure voltage can introduce errors in the measurement. Additionally, the quality and calibration of your equipment can also impact the accuracy of your results. It is also important to consider the limitations of your methods and how they may affect the accuracy of your measurements. It may be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field to get their input on the accuracy of your setup. Ultimately, it is important to have a thorough understanding of your equipment and methods, and to carefully consider potential sources of error in order to have realistic expectations for the accuracy of your results.

1. What factors should be considered when setting realistic expectations for my rig?

Some important factors to consider include the accuracy and precision of your equipment, the complexity of your experimental setup, and the potential sources of error in your measurements.

2. How can I ensure that my results are accurate?

To ensure accurate results, it is crucial to calibrate your equipment, follow standardized procedures, and perform multiple trials to reduce the impact of random errors.

3. What are some common mistakes that can affect the accuracy of my results?

Some common mistakes include using faulty equipment, not controlling for environmental factors, and not properly accounting for sources of error in your measurements.

4. How do I determine if my results are within a reasonable range of accuracy?

To determine if your results are within a reasonable range of accuracy, you can compare them to previously established values or use statistical analysis to evaluate the variability of your measurements.

5. Can I expect my results to be 100% accurate?

No, it is not possible to achieve 100% accuracy in scientific experiments due to the inherent limitations of measurement and the presence of external factors that can affect results. However, by following best practices and properly setting expectations, you can ensure that your results are as accurate as possible.