Simplify Natural Logarithms: ln(i^2)^2 Explained | Sweet Bro"

• Thread starter FUNKER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the result or simplification of ( ln(i^2) )^2 is -pi^2. The principal branch is usually used when taking the logarithm of a complex number.
FUNKER
what is the result or simplification of

( ln(i^2) )^2

sweet bro
:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Easy as pi

First, i^2=-1.

Then note that exp(i pi) = -1.

So ln(-1) = ln[exp(i pi)] = i pi.

Square it: (i pi)^2 = - pi^2.

EDIT: I should caution that this is a solution. I make no claim that it is the only solution.

Last edited:
[itex]-\pi^2[/itex] is definitely a solution. I'm not sure how there could be more solutions...?

- Warren

He wasn't even referring to solutions, was he? He just wanted a simplification of an expression, no?

cookiemonster

Well, heh, right, not solutions... I meant that [itex]-\pi^2[/itex] is the simplest possible form for it. I see what Janitor was saying now -- that there may be better simplifications. If so, I don't see any.

- Warren

Cookiemonster: he did ask, "What is the result..."

I'm not sure how there could be more solutions...?

Chroot, here's the sort of thing I am worried about:

Note that exp(3 i pi) = -1.

So ln(-1) = ln[exp(3 i pi)] = 3 i pi.

Square it: (3 i pi)^2 = - 9 pi^2.

the principal branch is usually what we mean when we ask for log of a complex number, which is the same as the principal value of arg, ie Arg

thanks for all ur help dudes, and yea I believe this is a solution as well as a simplification.

When I took complex analysis, we used ln for the multivalued version and Ln for the principal branch.

1. What is a natural log?

A natural log, also known as a logarithm with base e, is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of exponential growth. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific equations to describe natural phenomena such as population growth or radioactive decay.

2. How do I solve equations with natural logs?

To solve equations with natural logs, you can use the properties of logarithms such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the fact that ln(e) = 1 and e^(lnx) = x. It is important to pay attention to the domain of the logarithm to ensure that the solution is valid.

3. What is the difference between natural log and common log?

The main difference between natural log and common log is the base of the logarithm. Natural log uses e as its base, while common log uses 10 as its base. This means that natural log is more useful for solving problems involving exponential growth, while common log is more useful for problems involving powers of 10.

4. When should I use natural logs in my data analysis?

Natural logs are commonly used in data analysis when dealing with skewed data or when trying to understand the rate of change of a variable. They can also be used to transform data to make it more normally distributed, which can be helpful for certain statistical tests.

5. How can I graph natural log functions?

To graph natural log functions, you can use the properties of logarithms to determine the y-intercept and asymptotes. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to plot the function and visualize its shape. Remember to label the axes and include the appropriate scale to accurately represent the data.