1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with NETICA needed

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    Assume that a narcotics test gives positive results in 99% for drug users. For people not
    using narcotics the test gives negative results in 98% of cases. A company decided to test its employees knowing that 0.5% of them use drugs. Estimate the probability that a person with a positive test result is indeed a user. Estimate using the NETICA software.

Hi, I'm studying Civil Engineering and now I have some humanity courses. For subject Decision Making and Negotiation Theory I have to do above problem. Can anyone know Netica and can help me? Thx.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dang! I don't even know what NETICA stands for, let alone know how to use it. Of course, I suppose you aren't allowed to just use Bayes rule...so easy...

Welcome to physics forums.

4. Apr 3, 2010 #3
    Well, the first task was to use Bayes formula and I did this like that:

P(U) = 0.5%
    P(N) = 99.5%
    P(CU|U) = 99.0%
    P(CN|U) = 1.0%
    P(CU|N) = 2.0%
    P(CN|N) = 98.0%

P(U|CU) = [P(CU|U)*P(U)] / P(CU)
    P(U|CU) = [P(CU|U)*P(U)] / [P(CU|U)*P(U) + P(CU|N)*P(N)]
    P(U|CU) = [99% * 0.5%] / [99% * 0.5% +2.0% * 99.5%]
    P(U|CU) = 19.92%

Is that correct?

Due to norsys.com website 'Netica, the world's most widely used Bayesian network development software, was designed to be simple, reliable, and high performing.' While for me isn't because I don't know how to use it.

5. Apr 3, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, your calculation is correct, although I would have expressed the algebra with decimals instead of percents. Remember, probabilities are numbers in the interval [0,1].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook