Help with neutron capture

taking a set of questions and came across this one:
"Capture of a neutron by nickel-60 produces a proton and what new element or isotope ? "

I thought it was copper-61 since it goes through beta decay as indicated by the proton but supposedly it is not... please help

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
If something produces a proton via a beta decay, the atomic number changes, but the MASS number does not, since you still have the same number of nucleons. So your "61" isn't correct.

Zz.

yes, I know but it underwent neutron capture so its "61" and then transmuted to copper after beta decay so it stayed "61"... but Im wondering why that isint correct~ unless of course it isint beta decay at all that created the proton.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
"Capture of a neutron by nickel-60 produces a proton"
Sounds like an n,p reaction in which the neutron interaction results in a proton being ejected.

So A remains 60, but Z decreases by 1.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
panzerliger said:
yes, I know but it underwent neutron capture so its "61" and then transmuted to copper after beta decay so it stayed "61"... but Im wondering why that isint correct~ unless of course it isint beta decay at all that created the proton.
Oh, I read it wrong. I thought one of its neutrons underwent a beta decay.

Zz.

panzerliger said:
taking a set of questions and came across this one:
"Capture of a neutron by nickel-60 produces a proton and what new element or isotope ? "

I thought it was copper-61 since it goes through beta decay as indicated by the proton but supposedly it is not... please help
Is the question basically this?

[tex]
n+^{60} Ni \rightarrow p + X
[/tex]

Where you want to know what X is?

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating