1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Newton Question

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tank in the form of a right-circular cone standing on end with its vertex down, is leaking water through a hole its circular bottom.

• a. Suppose the tank is 20 feet high moreover has a radius 8 feet wide moreover the circular hole has a radius 2 inches. In problem 1.3 you were asked to demonstrate that the differential equation governing the height h of water leaking from a tank is

dh/dt = -5/6h3/2

In this model, friction as well as contraction of the water at the hole were taken into account with c = 0.3, moreover that g was taken to be 32 ft/s2. If the tank was initially full, how long shall it take the tank to empty?

b. Suppose the tank has a vertex angle of 60o in addition that the circular hole has a radius of 2 inches. Determine the differential equation governing the height h of water. Use c = 0.6 as well as g = 32 ft/s2. If the height of the water is initially 9 feet, how long will it take the task to empty?

2. Relevant equations

dh/dt = -5/6h3/2

3. The attempt at a solution

Not yet. I just came into this site after being referred to by a friend, moreover I seriously need help in differential equations. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Solving the differential equation seems to be a matter of integration - applying the initial value.

I look forward to seeing your initial attempts at the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook