Help with Nitromethane for RC Model Car

• Thread starter Rotormaster
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and is seeking help on how to make their RC model car's exhaust produce flames. The engine is a 2-stroke with a glow plug and runs on a fuel mix of 20% nitro, 16% oil, and the rest methanol. Normal engine temperatures are around 250 degrees Celsius. The speaker wonders if the exhaust temperatures are not high enough or if the type of fuel is the issue. Another suggestion is to have a spark or glow plug in the exhaust pipe, but the speaker has tried this with no success. They are open to any other ideas.
Rotormaster
Hey guys. I am new to the forum and am not a physicist or engineer. I have an RC model car and I am wondering how I can get the exhaust to produce flames. the engine is a .28 cu in (4.6cc) 2-stroke, no spark plug it uses a glow plug, it runs on a fuel mix of 20% nitro, around 16% oil and the rest methanol, normal engine temps are around 250 degrees celsius. If you need more info just ask.

could it be that exhaust temps are not high enough to re combust unburned fuel? or the type of fuel?

Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need a spark or glow plug (that can be switched on/off) in the exhaust pipe.

No I don't think this is it either because I tried applying a naked flame from a lighter directly to the exhaust outlet, I did this and tried from the bottom to the top of the rev range and still nada! any other Ideas?

1. What is Nitromethane?

Nitromethane is a highly flammable, colorless liquid that is commonly used as a fuel in remote-controlled (RC) model cars and other vehicles.

2. How does Nitromethane differ from other fuels for RC model cars?

Nitromethane has a higher energy density compared to other fuels commonly used in RC model cars, such as gasoline or methanol. This means that it can produce more power and speed, making it a popular choice among RC enthusiasts.

3. How do I mix Nitromethane with other fuels for my RC model car?

Nitromethane is typically mixed with other fuels, such as methanol and oil, in specific ratios depending on the type of engine in your RC model car. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the correct mixing ratio to ensure optimal performance and safety.

4. Can Nitromethane damage my RC model car?

Nitromethane is a powerful fuel and if not used properly, it can cause damage to your RC model car's engine. It is important to carefully follow instructions for mixing and using Nitromethane to avoid any potential damage.

5. Is Nitromethane safe to use?

Nitromethane is a highly flammable and potentially hazardous substance, so it is important to handle and store it with caution. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling Nitromethane. It is recommended to use Nitromethane in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling its fumes.