Nonlinear ODE Help: Strategies to Solve a Challenging 1st Order PDE

In summary: P:P:P:P:SIn summary, BobbyBear is trying to solve a 3rd order linear PDE, but is having trouble finding the solution because z=1 is a root.
BobbyBear
Haiya :P

In the process of trying to find the solution of a 1st order PDE, I've reached a point where I have to solve the following ode:

[tex]

\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x^2y-4(y-x)^3}{xy^2+4(y-x)^3}

[/tex]

and I am stuck here :( It's not separable, homogeneous, or exact and I really don't know how to tackle this, is it most likely there is no analytical way to solve? Please suggest a strategy or help in any way, if you can :P:P

Thanks x

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Have you tried a numerical solution? Do you have any intial conditions for this ODE?

Thanks
Matt

Why do you say it is not homogenous? If you replace x by [itex]\lambda x[/itex] and y by [itex]\lambda y[/itex] the right side becomes
[tex]\frac{(\lambda x)^2(\lambda y)- 4(\lambda y- \lamba x)^3}{(\lambda x)(\lambda y)^2+ 4(\lambda y- \lambda x)^3}[/tex][tex]= \frac{\lambda^3(x^2y- (y- x)^3}{\lambda^3(xy^2+ (y- x)^3}= \frac{x^2y- (y- x)^3}{xy^2+ (y-x)^3}[/tex]
so this equation certainly is homogenous.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Oooh Ivy, I didn't realize that xD The numerator and denominator are both homogeneous of 3rd degree :) So then, what I do is:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x^2y-4(y-x)^3}{xy^2+4(y-x)^3} = \frac{x^3[\frac{y}{x}-4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3]}{x^3[(\frac{y}{x})^2+4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3]} = \frac{\frac{y}{x}-4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3}{(\frac{y}{x})^2+4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3}[/tex]

and using the change of variable z=y/x, I'm left with an separable equation: xD

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = x \frac{dz}{dx} + z = \frac{z-4(z-1)^3}{z^2+4(z-1)^3}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dz}{\frac{z-4(z-1)^3}{z^2+4(z-1)^3} -1} = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

which after some manipulation leaves me with:

[tex] \left[-\frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{z^2+z}{-8z^3+23z^2-23z+8}\right) \right] dz=\frac{dx}{x} [/tex]

Um, I need help once again integrating the left hand side, I mean, I can only obtain the roots of the 3rd degree polynomial numerically, so should I use those (approximate roots) to carry out the partial fraction expansion of the polynomial quotient so that I can integrate? I'm not sure what to do, I want to end up with a relationship between the x and y variables; I don't have intial values because this ode came up while trying to solve a 1st order linear PDE (in fact, I'm trying to solve the characteristic system:

[tex] \frac{dx}{xy^2+4(y-x)^3} = \frac{dy}{x^2y-4(y-x)^3} = \frac{du}{-1} [/tex]

so that's why I needed to solve that ode.

If you have any suggestions on how to go about this I'd appreciate it! Thank you! :)

BobbyBear said:
Thank you very much for your replies.

Oooh Ivy, I didn't realize that xD The numerator and denominator are both homogeneous of 3rd degree :) So then, what I do is:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x^2y-4(y-x)^3}{xy^2+4(y-x)^3} = \frac{x^3[\frac{y}{x}-4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3]}{x^3[(\frac{y}{x})^2+4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3]} = \frac{\frac{y}{x}-4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3}{(\frac{y}{x})^2+4(\frac{y}{x} -1)^3}[/tex]

and using the change of variable z=y/x, I'm left with an separable equation: xD

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = x \frac{dz}{dx} + z = \frac{z-4(z-1)^3}{z^2+4(z-1)^3}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dz}{\frac{z-4(z-1)^3}{z^2+4(z-1)^3} -1} = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

which after some manipulation leaves me with:

[tex] \left[-\frac{1}{2} +\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{z^2+z}{-8z^3+23z^2-23z+8}\right) \right] dz=\frac{dx}{x} [/tex]

Um, I need help once again integrating the left hand side, I mean, I can only obtain the roots of the 3rd degree polynomial numerically, so should I use those (approximate roots) to carry out the partial fraction expansion of the polynomial quotient so that I can integrate? I'm not sure what to do, I want to end up with a relationship between the x and y variables; I don't have intial values because this ode came up while trying to solve a 1st order linear PDE (in fact, I'm trying to solve the characteristic system:

[tex] \frac{dx}{xy^2+4(y-x)^3} = \frac{dy}{x^2y-4(y-x)^3} = \frac{du}{-1} [/tex]

so that's why I needed to solve that ode.

If you have any suggestions on how to go about this I'd appreciate it! Thank you! :)

Hi BobbyBear,

just by visually inspecting the algebraic third order equation in the denominator, i can tell that z=1 is one root of this equation.

tanujkush said:
Hi BobbyBear,

just by visually inspecting the algebraic third order equation in the denominator, i can tell that z=1 is one root of this equation.

Oooh tanujkush, I love you! :)
*hugs*

I guess I am quite short sighted :P:P

1. What is a nonlinear ODE?

A nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, where the derivatives are not in a linear relationship. This means that the terms in the equation cannot be written as a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. How is a nonlinear ODE different from a linear ODE?

A linear ODE has terms that can be written as a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a nonlinear ODE does not. This makes solving a nonlinear ODE more difficult, as there are no standard methods like separation of variables or substitution that can be applied.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve nonlinear ODEs?

Some common techniques for solving nonlinear ODEs include numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, as well as analytical methods like power series and perturbation methods.

4. Can every nonlinear ODE be solved?

No, not every nonlinear ODE can be solved analytically. Some equations may not have a closed form solution, while others may be too complex to solve using known methods. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate a solution.

5. How can I determine the stability of a solution to a nonlinear ODE?

The stability of a solution to a nonlinear ODE can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the solution over time. One method is to find the equilibrium points of the system and determine if they are stable or unstable. Other methods include finding the eigenvalues of the system's Jacobian matrix or using Lyapunov functions.