Help with Riemann Sum Notation

• Thread starter haxan7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation is about a question related to Riemann Sums and the use of the notation \lfloor x \rfloor, which represents the "floor function" that rounds down to the nearest integer. The conversation includes an explanation and examples of this notation.
haxan7

Homework Statement

vzw74.jpg

Homework Equations

The question is related to Riemann Sums

The Attempt at a Solution

I can not understand the notation of the question.
Can someone explain the question to me.
Or solve the question, i will understand it myself.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Which notation are you unfamiliar with? I'll just take a stab at it now and assume you haven't seen [itex]\lfloor x \rfloor [/itex] before; these brackets represent the "floor function" which rounds down to the nearest integer.

For example
[tex]\lfloor 1.2 \rfloor = 1 [/tex]
[tex]\lfloor 0.999 \rfloor = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\lfloor 4 \rfloor = 4 [/tex]

JHamm said:
Which notation are you unfamiliar with? I'll just take a stab at it now and assume you haven't seen [itex]\lfloor x \rfloor [/itex] before; these brackets represent the "floor function" which rounds down to the nearest integer.

For example
[tex]\lfloor 1.2 \rfloor = 1 [/tex]
[tex]\lfloor 0.999 \rfloor = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\lfloor 4 \rfloor = 4 [/tex]

Thanks a lot.

What is Riemann Sum Notation?

Riemann Sum Notation is a mathematical notation used to represent a numerical approximation of the area under a curve. It is used in the field of calculus to estimate the value of a definite integral.

Why is Riemann Sum Notation useful?

Riemann Sum Notation is useful because it allows us to approximate the area under a curve without having to use complex integration techniques. This makes it easier to solve real-world problems where exact solutions may be difficult to find.

What are the different types of Riemann Sums?

There are four types of Riemann Sums: left, right, midpoint, and trapezoidal. Each type uses a different method to estimate the area under a curve, but they all follow the same basic formula.

How do you write Riemann Sum Notation?

Riemann Sum Notation is written as Sn = Σ f(xi)Δx, where n is the number of subintervals, f(xi) is the value of the function at a given point, and Δx is the width of each subinterval.

What is the limit definition of Riemann Sums?

The limit definition of Riemann Sums is the process of taking the limit of the Riemann Sum as the number of subintervals approaches infinity. This allows us to find the exact value of the definite integral using integration techniques.