1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with notation

Tags:
  1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    Having trouble understanding some notation:

x(.) or C(.) (the dot is in fact in the center i.e mid-way vertically in the brackets).

I have never run into this before? What does it mean if x is a function of "."?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

More context please.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    Apologies, I thought it was something along the lines of f' being the first derivative of the function, and nothing else (to my knowledge).

And I quote "C(.) is a choice rule (technically a correspondence) that assigns a nonempty set of chosen elements C(β) ⊂ β for every budget set β ∈ B."

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems like it is just a way of saying "C is a function".

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5
    Ok, thanks!

7. Nov 19, 2014 #6
    Someone has mentioned to me that it indicates that a function can only take a single argument . . . without specifying the specific argument?
    Not sure if this is true.

8. Nov 19, 2014 #7
    I got a formal answer:

f(.) means that we have a univariate (one variable) function.
    The difference between f(x) and f(.) is that that, f(x) denotes a univariate function depending from the specific one-variable x, whilst f(.) denotes an one variable function depending from any one-variable we like.
    We can write, for instance, f(x) or f(y) or f(z) etc

9. Nov 19, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be very careful about what you regard as a "variable". I have seen functions C(.) whose arguments are n-vectors, so we really have ##C(x_1,x_2, \ldots x_n)##, but with the n arguments bundled together into a single "vector" ##\vec{x} = (x_1,x_2 \ldots,x_n)##. In that sense, C is a function of the single "variable} ##\vec{x}##. I have also seen functions C(.) whose arguments are functions themselves (such things are usually called functionals), so in a sense are functions of infinitely many variables. But, again, these several variables are all bundled together into a single object ##x(.)##, and that is plugged into the formula for C.

10. Nov 22, 2014 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The dot notation is often used when you want to define a function from one that's already defined, without coming up with a new function symbol. For example, if ##f:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## and ##y\in\mathbb R##, then ##f(\cdot,y)## denotes the function ##x\mapsto f(x,y)## with domain ##\mathbb R##, i.e. the function ##g:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## such that ##g(x)=f(x,y)## for all ##x\in\mathbb R##. So for all ##x\in\mathbb R##, we have ##f(\cdot,y)(x)=f(x,y)##. The dot is just telling you where to put the "input".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted