How Do You Solve a Complex IVP with Sinusoidal and Polynomial Terms?

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to an initial value problem involving a second order differential equation. The individual has tried two different methods, undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters, but is unsure if their solution is correct. They also discuss using reduction of order and the Laplace transform as potential methods to solve the problem.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Ok I'm stuck on this problem - and it didnt particularly look hard when I started doing it, oh say about a good 2 hours ago.. hmm

Solve the IVP
[tex]2y'' + 3y' + y = t^2 + 85 sin(2t), y(0) = -2, y'(0) = 0.[/tex]

My homogeneous solution is [tex]c1y1 + c2y2[/tex]

[tex]y1 = e^\frac{-t}{2}, y2 = e^-^t, Wronskian = e^\frac{-3t}{2}+e^\frac{-t}{2} [/tex]

So for a particular solution I've tried 2 different methods

1. Undetermined Coefficients
Assumed solution was [tex]At^2 + Bt + C + Dcos(2t) + Esin(2t)[/tex]

[tex]yp' = 2At + B - 2Dsin(2t) + 2Ecos(2t)[/tex]
[tex]yp'' = 2A - 4Dcos(2t) -4Esin(2t)[/tex]

After pluggin this back into original equation [tex]2y'' + 3y' + y[/tex] I got the following equalities:
[tex]At^2 + Bt + C + 6At + 3B + 4A = t^2[/tex]
[tex]cos(2t)(-7D + 6F) = 0[/tex]
[tex]sin(2t)(-7F - 6D) = 85sin(2t)[/tex]

Fiddling around with the equalities I got C=0, D=-6, F=-7

[tex]A=\frac{3t}{3t+14}, B=\frac{-4t}{3t+14}[/tex]

After assembling the whole thing together I don't get the right hand side after integrating to check the solutions, and so even when I derive the y=yp+yh solution to get my constants for homogeneous equation I get wrong coefficients c1 and c2 for yh - an infinite number of them, so I'm pretty sure my solution is wrong

Should I have multiplied the assumed solution by t anywhere?

2. Variation of Parameters

[tex]Yp = -y1 \int \frac{y2 g(t) dt}{Wronskian} + y2 \int \frac{y1 g(t) dt}{Wronskian}[/tex]
where [tex]g(t) =\frac{ t^2 + 85sin(2t) } {2}[/tex]
The result was extremely long and contained a lot of exponentials, and I assumed it to be incorrect, although any comment on the correct answer you got would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your undetermined coefficients solution, why do A and B depend on t? A and B are supposed to be constants, right?

The particular solution I get is:

[tex]y = t^2 - 6t + 14 -6\cos 2t -7 \sin 2t[/tex]

cronxeh said:
Ok I'm stuck on this problem - and it didnt particularly look hard when I started doing it, oh say about a good 2 hours ago.. hmm

Solve the IVP
[tex]2y'' + 3y' + y = t^2 + 85 sin(2t), y(0) = -2, y'(0) = 0.[/tex]

My homogeneous solution is [tex]c1y1 + c2y2[/tex]

[tex]y1 = e^\frac{-t}{2}, y2 = e^-^t, Wronskian = e^\frac{-3t}{2}+e^\frac{-t}{2} [/tex]

So for a particular solution I've tried 2 different methods

1. Undetermined Coefficients
Assumed solution was [tex]At^2 + Bt + C + Dcos(2t) + Esin(2t)[/tex]

[tex]yp' = 2At + B - 2Dsin(2t) + 2Ecos(2t)[/tex]
[tex]yp'' = 2A - 4Dcos(2t) -4Esin(2t)[/tex]

I get the following equations:

4A+3B+C=0
6A+B=0
A=1
6E-7D=0
-7E-6D=85

Edit: Suppose I should compare this to the results reported by James . . .
Ok, I'm cool.

Last edited:
James R said:
In your undetermined coefficients solution, why do A and B depend on t? A and B are supposed to be constants, right?

The particular solution I get is:

[tex]y = t^2 - 6t + 14 -6\cos 2t -7 \sin 2t[/tex]

Doh.. of course! So since [tex]At^2 = t^2 [/tex] then [tex]A=1[/tex] and I simply equate the other terms to 0. Thanks.

With variation of parameters you typically want to work out the entire step, especially if you're new to it, I prefer the practical variation of parameters approach v.s. plugging into the wronskian derivation. Reduction of order should work with this also, except try using your y1 intstead of the simpler y2. Have you gotten to the laplace transform yet?

I think that you will have more cancellations with the y1, however if you need to go with y2 (using reduction of order), you'll probably need to use euler's form of sin(2t) to solve for your first integral

1. What is an IVP problem?

An IVP (initial value problem) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions.

2. How do I know if I have a stuck IVP problem?

If you are unable to find a solution to an IVP problem using traditional methods, such as separation of variables or integrating factors, then you may have a stuck IVP problem.

3. What are some common approaches for tackling a stuck IVP problem?

Some common approaches include using substitutions, transforming the equation into a more manageable form, or using numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.

4. What are some tips for successfully solving a stuck IVP problem?

Some tips include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using trial and error, and checking for mistakes in your calculations. It may also be helpful to consult with other mathematicians or reference materials for guidance.

5. Are there any software programs or tools that can assist with tackling a stuck IVP problem?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools available that can help with solving stuck IVP problems, such as Wolfram Alpha, MATLAB, and R. These programs utilize numerical methods and can provide accurate solutions to difficult IVP problems.