1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with one of those how much solution to equal a percentage of acid problems!

1. Apr 23, 2004 #1
    Help with one of those "how much solution to equal a percentage of acid" problems!

undefinedundefinedundefined

My problem seems to be in just how to set up the table. Once I get the figures plugged in, I can seem to work the problem. The question asks:

Minoxidil is a drug that has recently proven to be effective in treating male pattern baldness. A pharmacist wishes to mix a solution that is 2% minoxidil. She has on hand 50 ml of a 1% solution, and she wishes to add some 4% solution to it to obtain the desired 2% solution. How much 4% solution should she add?

I've set it up like: .01 50 50(.01)
    .04 x x(.04)
    -02 x+50 .02(x+50)

50(.01) +x(.04) = .02(x+50)

Is this the correct way to set it up?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?