Solve Op Amp Circuit Gain with R1 = 1500 ohms for R2 = 100K and R3 = 10K

In summary, the gain of the circuit can be found using the formula G = Vo/Vi = -50 = (-R2/R1)/1+(1+R2/R1)/A. The resistor R3 can be ignored as it does not affect the gain. The value for R1 can be calculated using the standard form G = (-R2/R1)/(1+(1+R2/R1)/A) where A is the open loop gain. The resulting value for R1 will be less than 200 ohms. When the op-amp is non-ideal, the standard analysis procedures may not be adequate and a "messier" equation is needed to accurately determine the gain.
formulajoe
gain of the circuit is -50 V/V, open loop gain is 200 V/V. There are three resistors in the circuit. The standard R2 and R2 and there is an R3 resistor.
Vo is across R3. It is connected to the output of the output going to ground. I need to find a value for R1 to make the gains works. The value for R2 is 100K and the value for R3 is 10K.
I don't know how to this problem. I can do it just fine with a finite open loop gain if R3 is gone and I can do it just fine with R3 as long as there is an infinite open loop gain.

Heres what I have

G = Vo/Vi = -50 = (-R2/R1)/(1+1+R2/R1)/A
Using this I found R1 to be 1500 ohms. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about anyone else, but I need a picture.

heres a crude picture, but it should work.

Attachments

• 3701.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 684
formulajoe said:

OK, now what does that "A" stand for?

Tom Mattson said:
OK, now what does that "A" stand for?

It stands for the finite open loop gain, and the equation is nearly right I believe. The standard form is:

G = (-R2/R1)/(1+(1+R2/R1)/A)

where G is the closed loop gain of an op-amp with finite open loop gain. Of course, as A approaches infinity, notice that the gain will be equal to -R2/R1, which is what you would get if you analyze the op-amp under ideal assumptions.

formulajoe said:
I don't know how to this problem. I can do it just fine with a finite open loop gain if R3 is gone and I can do it just fine with R3 as long as there is an infinite open loop gain.

Heres what I have

The resistor R3 is irrelevant as long as you don't need to assume finite open loop output impedance. In other words just ignore R3.

Your formula for G is wrong. It could be made correct however by "fixing up the brackets" in the formula. (A is the open loop gain).

Your initial solution of 1500 ohms is obviously incorrect because even if the open loop gain was infinite the value required would be 10000/50 = 200 ohms. So clearly the answer will be less than 200 ohms.

formulajoe said:
gain of the circuit is -50 V/V, open loop gain is 200 V/V. There are three resistors in the circuit. The standard R2 and R2 and there is an R3 resistor.
Vo is across R3. It is connected to the output of the output going to ground. I need to find a value for R1 to make the gains works. The value for R2 is 100K and the value for R3 is 10K.

Heres what I have

I'm not sure what formula you're using. Your drawing shows an inverting op amp, so the gain is just [tex]G=-(\frac{R_2}{R_1})[/tex]

As drawn, R3 isn't going to affect your gain. Here's an easy way to show that:

The non-inverting input of the op amp is connected to ground, so it's zero. For an ideal opamp, the voltage of both inputs will be equal to each other, so the inverting input is also at zero volts. What does that mean for the current through R1?

The current through both inputs of the op amp have to be equal and will be zero. So what does that mean for the current through R2?

How many volts were dropped through R1 and what direction was the current going? What direction was the current going through R2 and how many volts will be dropped through R2 (Ohm's law)?

The current through R3 may vary according to the value of R3, but the voltage at the node of R2, R3, and the output of the opamp is determined by R1 and R2. If R3 weren't there, and knowing Kirchoff's Current Law, what could you tell about the current at the output of the opamp? Knowing that, why do you think R3 would be added?

BobG said:
I'm not sure what formula you're using. Your drawing shows an inverting op amp, so the gain is just [tex]G=-(\frac{R_2}{R_1})[/tex]

I got exactly that too Bob, but it seems that you aren't supposed to model the op amp as ideal. If it were ideal then you wouldn't be dealing with open loop gains in the first place.

I'd just like to add some more comments with regards to the last two posts less Tom's post now. When the op-amp is non-ideal, then using the "standard" analysis procedures is not adequate. Let me add some proof to where the equation comes from:

Assume that op-amp is not ideal, thus Vout = -AVin, where Vin is the voltage at the negative input of the op-amp and A is the finite open-loop gain.

Then the voltage at the negative input is: -Vout/A
Reuse this in your normal circuit analysis and you will get the same "messier" equation :P

G = Vo/Vi = -50 = (-R2/R1)/1+(1+R2/R1)/A

This is my equation, I used this when I solved for the 1500 ohms. When I put it in the first time it was a typing mistake. This is incorrect?

formulajoe said:
G = Vo/Vi = -50 = (-R2/R1)/1+(1+R2/R1)/A

This is my equation, I used this when I solved for the 1500 ohms. When I put it in the first time it was a typing mistake. This is incorrect?

That's correct.

uart said:
The resistor R3 is irrelevant as long as you don't need to assume finite open loop output impedance. In other words just ignore R3.

Your formula for G is wrong. It could be made correct however by "fixing up the brackets" in the formula. (A is the open loop gain).

Your initial solution of 1500 ohms is obviously incorrect because even if the open loop gain was infinite the value required would be 10000/50 = 200 ohms. So clearly the answer will be less than 200 ohms.

I don't undertstand where to go?

I used the equation Vo = V0/A - I1*R2, where I1 = (Vi - -(Vo/A))/R1. Solved it for R1 and got a value of roughly 2500. Is this correct?

1. How do I choose the right op amp for my circuit?

Choosing the right op amp for your circuit involves considering factors such as the required voltage and current range, input and output impedance, and bandwidth. You can also consult the op amp's datasheet for specifications and compare them to your circuit's requirements.

2. How do I calculate the gain of an op amp circuit?

The gain of an op amp circuit can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This can be simplified to the ratio of the resistance values in the feedback and input paths of the circuit. The gain can also be affected by the op amp's open loop gain and the feedback network's impedance.

3. Can I use a single op amp for multiple functions in my circuit?

Yes, you can use a single op amp for multiple functions in your circuit by using different input and feedback configurations. However, it is important to consider the effects of loading and crosstalk when using a single op amp for multiple tasks.

4. What is the difference between inverting and non-inverting op amp circuits?

In an inverting op amp circuit, the input signal is connected to the inverting input terminal and the output is connected to the feedback resistor. This results in an output that is 180 degrees out of phase with the input. In a non-inverting op amp circuit, the input signal is connected to the non-inverting input terminal and the output is connected to the feedback resistor. This results in an output that is in phase with the input.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my op amp circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with your op amp circuit, first check for any incorrect connections or damaged components. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltages and currents at different points in the circuit. Additionally, referencing the op amp's datasheet and performing simulations can help identify and troubleshoot any problems.