1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with optics problem

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    I need to find a Fermat Equation for a parabola that sends light from a point sour ce on X the access back parrallell to the x access.

If you want to see what I tried, I posted a pic a few days ago, under the title optics, but no one responded at that point.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, you know it's a parabola. Do you know that the "standard" form for a parabola is y= 4cx2 where (0, c) is the focus? Since you want the focus on the x-axis and want the ray back parallel to the x-axis, you need to swap x and y:
    x= 4cy2.
  4. Sep 22, 2005 #3
    Yes, I know, but I need the fermat equation where the Optical Path Length (OPL) is equal for all points of the surface. What I am unsure about is if the OPL for the center must be added the the OPL of arbitrary X position for the parabola, eg
    N1 (So + So - X) = N1 (X^2 + y^2)^1/2, where So is the distance from the point source to the parabolic axis on the x axis, and X and Y are cooresponding arbitraray co-ordinates to points on the parabola.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?