How do I find the Fermat Equation for a parabola in optics?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a Fermat Equation for a parabola that reflects light from a point source on the x-axis back parallel to the x-axis. The suggested approach is to use the standard form for a parabola, y=4cx^2, and swap the x and y variables to achieve the desired reflection. The questioner is unsure about the Optical Path Length (OPL) and whether the OPL for the center must be added to the OPL of arbitrary points on the parabola.
CaptainQuaser
I need to find a Fermat Equation for a parabola that sends light from a point sour ce on X the access back parrallell to the x access.

Thanks

If you want to see what I tried, I posted a pic a few days ago, under the title optics, but no one responded at that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you know it's a parabola. Do you know that the "standard" form for a parabola is y= 4cx2 where (0, c) is the focus? Since you want the focus on the x-axis and want the ray back parallel to the x-axis, you need to swap x and y:
x= 4cy2.

Yes, I know, but I need the fermat equation where the Optical Path Length (OPL) is equal for all points of the surface. What I am unsure about is if the OPL for the center must be added the the OPL of arbitrary X position for the parabola, eg
N1 (So + So - X) = N1 (X^2 + y^2)^1/2, where So is the distance from the point source to the parabolic axis on the x axis, and X and Y are cooresponding arbitraray co-ordinates to points on the parabola.

1. What is the best way to approach an optics problem?

When faced with an optics problem, it is important to first understand the given information and what is being asked. Then, you can apply relevant equations and principles to solve the problem. It is also helpful to draw diagrams to visualize the situation.

2. How can I improve my understanding of optics concepts?

To improve your understanding of optics concepts, it is beneficial to practice solving various problems and experimenting with different scenarios. You can also read textbooks and attend lectures or workshops on the subject.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving optics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving optics problems include using incorrect equations, not considering all relevant factors, and not double-checking your calculations. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. How can I check if my answer to an optics problem is correct?

You can check your answer to an optics problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given information. You can also compare your answer to the expected result or ask a peer or instructor for feedback.

5. What are some real-life applications of optics?

Optics has many real-life applications, including in the fields of photography, medicine (such as eye exams and laser surgery), telecommunications (such as fiber optics), and astronomy (such as telescopes and lenses). It also plays a crucial role in the development of various technologies, such as virtual reality and augmented reality.