1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with optimal solution

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1
    Hi Guys

Can someone please explain what optimal solution is. I am a computing student and have to study algorithms.

I have done some research and i have the following information but i still dont know what op is. If anyone can explain what it is and were an example of a OP such as the travling salesmen or Suduko. :confused::confused:

Heres what i have at the moment

Optimal solution: In the context of the Optimizer, the optimal solution is the one with the lowest cost or highest return from among the set of scenarios analyzed by the Optimizer. Optimal solution which only uses a minimum possible number of moves.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Optimal just means best. So the optimal solution would usually be the fastest or the one that produces the most accurate answer, although it could also be the solution which uses least memory or some other ocnsideration.

If you want to know the optimal solution to the travelling salesman problem thats a bit trickier.
  4. Jul 31, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a good working definition. To better understand what an optimal solution is, look up the difference between a heuristic and an optimal solution.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?