1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with parametric curves

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the parametric curve
    x=ln(t) and
    y= 1+t^2

i need to eliminate the parameter to find the cartesian equation

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

if i solve for t using x I get that t=e^x
    but if i solve for t using y i get t=(y-1)^(1/2)

when i plug in x into y i get that y=1+e^2x

but plugging y into x i get that x= ln(y-1)^(1/2)

both of which have different domains of parameterization and i need to find the domain of parameterization

how can i know which to use? which is the correct one?

then part b says that: "since dx/dt=______ it is _____ along the domain of parameterization, the curve goes through ________________" I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO PUT THERE

because i thought i had to just put like dx/dt= 1/t and then i thought i had to put concave up or down but if i use y=1+e^x^2's domain i cant do that

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think they do.

Check your work. If, having done that, you still think that the two approaches give different domains, post your reasons why.

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't solve the second equation for t- just replace the "t" in the second equation by e^x.

You mean y= 1+ e^(2x) but, yes, that is correct.

You get the "domains of parameterization from the original parametric equations, not from the Cartesian equations.
    x= ln(t) so t must be positive.

[/quote]then part b says that: "since dx/dt=______ it is _____ along the domain of parameterization, the curve goes through ________________" I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO PUT THERE

because i thought i had to just put like dx/dt= 1/t and then i thought i had to put concave up or down but if i use y=1+e^x^2's domain i cant do that[/QUOTE]
    Does "it" refer to the graph of the Cartesian equation? You had previously determined that that function was y= 1+ e^(2x), NOT y= 1+ e^(x^2).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted