Help with Part C: Horizontal Force for Moving Two Trunks

• Thread starter phy_
  • Start date
In summary, the coefficient of kinetic friction in this scenario is 0.17 when a 252 kg trunk is being moved at constant velocity with a horizontal force of 425 N being applied. When an additional 56 kg trunk is placed on top, the coefficient of kinetic friction decreases to 0.14. To move the combination of the two trunks at constant velocity, a horizontal force of 520 N must be applied.
phy_
help with part c??

A worker of a moving company places a 252 kg trunk on a piece of carpeting and slides it across the floor at constant velocity by exerting a horizontal force of 425 N on the trunk.

a) what is the coeffient of kinetic friction

Fn = mg
= 252 kg x 9.8 N/kg
= 2469.6 N

kinetic coefficient equals 425 N/2469.6 N = 0.17

b) what happens to the coefficient of kinetic friction if another 56 kg trunk is splaced on top of the 252 kg trunk?

Fn = mg
=(308 kg) (9.8 N/kg)
=3018.4

kinetic coefficient equals 425 N/3018.4 N = 0.14

c) what horizontal force must the mover apply to move the combination of the two trunks at constant velocity

the answer is 5.2 x 10^2 N any help would be appreciated as to how to solve c
thank-you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

what horizontal force must the mover apply to move the combination of the two trunks at constant velocity

force is not being applied to an object moving an constant velocity or sitting "still"...

force = mass x acceleration...

I don't see how you'd need a force to move an object at a constant velocity

You need a force because, although moving at constant velocity, there is a coefficent of friction that has to be overcome.

Also, please don't post a question twice.

The Bob

In b) can you explain how the coefficient of friction would change with more weight?

i am not sure other than i added 56 kg (i had made an error and written 5 earlier)

is b correct?

phy_ said:
i am not sure other than i added 56 kg (i had made an error and written 5 earlier)

If it has a coefficient of friction from a), what is the coefficient of friction?

Moving force/Normal force ?

Isn't it constant? If you change the normal force doesn't the moving force need to be bigger?

Isn't that what c) is about?

1. What is "Part C: Horizontal Force for Moving Two Trunks" about?

"Part C: Horizontal Force for Moving Two Trunks" is a scientific experiment that aims to determine the amount of horizontal force needed to move two trunks of varying masses across a flat surface. This experiment is useful in understanding the principles of motion and force.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include two trunks of different masses, a flat surface, a measuring tape, a force meter, and a stopwatch.

3. How do I conduct this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, place the two trunks side by side on the flat surface, with one trunk being heavier than the other. Use the measuring tape to mark a starting point and an ending point. Then, attach the force meter to the lighter trunk and pull it towards the ending point while timing with the stopwatch. Repeat this process for the heavier trunk. Record the results for each trial.

4. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine how the mass of an object affects the amount of horizontal force needed to move it. By conducting this experiment, we can gain a better understanding of the relationship between force and motion.

5. How can I analyze the results of this experiment?

To analyze the results of this experiment, plot a graph of the horizontal force (measured by the force meter) against the mass of the trunks. The slope of the graph will indicate the relationship between force and mass, and the y-intercept will represent the force needed to move an object with zero mass. You can also calculate the average force needed for each trial and compare it to the theoretical value obtained from Newton's Second Law of Motion.