Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with permutations and combinations

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    How do u calculate the the total number of combinations, given that you have n number of object and you will choose r of the objects, but x of these objects are mutually exclusive. Let x=2 for your explanations.

I kinda have an idea on how to do this, but i cant frecall an formula for the calculations.

Total number of permutations would be [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}[/tex] And now i have to subtract from this, the number of combinations with one of the mutually exclusive events given that the other has happened.

P.S. Maybe i should post a question to help you understand better ? ..., as my linguistic skills are not top-notch.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2
    If the objects are mutually exclusive that means you can only select 1 of them. So you choose from n - x + 1 objects, and multiply it by x ways to choose from the x objects.

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    I don't think that's quite right. It ignores the combinations that don't have one of the x objects.

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4
    A solution for this problem is:

[tex]\binom{n}{k}-\sum_{i=2}^{x}\left[\binom{x}{i}\times\binom{n-x}{k-i}\right][/tex]

I'm sure there's a more elegant formulation, but this one works.

Of course, for x=2, this simplifies to:

[tex]\binom{n}{k}-\binom{n-2}{k-2}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?