Permutations Help: Solving Questions About Collect and Seating Arrangements

In summary, for the first question, there are 240 ways to arrange the word "collect" where the two l's are together and the two c's are separated. For the second question, the number of ways 4 couples can be seated at a circular table where no couple is sitting together can be found by subtracting the number of arrangements where all, three, two, or one pair sit together from the total number of arrangements.
adeel
I need help with these two questions:

How many permutations are there of the word collect if the 2 l's have to be together and the two c's have to be separated?

I got as far as 360 because if u keep the l's together you would get 6! x 2!
2! x 2!

but after that I am stuck on what to do next

and the other question:

How many ways can 4 couples be seated at a circular table so that the couples are never sitting together?

i knoe 8! / 8 gives the possibilities of all of them at one table, but since some of them can sit together i don't know what to do

can someone help me finish of these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know how to find the number of combinations where both l's are together.

Can you find how many combinations there are when both l's and both c's are together?

Can you guess where to go next?

I think you can do the other problem with a variation on this trick.

hmm

so what u are saying is figure out how many ways u can have just the l's together, and then figure out how many ways u can have both c's and l's together and subtract to get how many ways l can be together but c is not together?

so 360 (what i got earlier) minus (5! x 2! x 2! / 2! x 2! which gives an answer of 120)

so 360 - 120 = 240 ways? Do you know that is the right way to do it or you think?

Can u explain how the variation of the second question would work?

Your answer for "collect" looks right.

For the second question... there might be a simpler way, but off hand I see this one:

Find the number of ways the couples can have a seat where all couples sit together.

Find the number of ways they can have a seat where three pairs sit together and the other 2 can be anywhere.

Same for two pairs.

Same for one pair.

and then subtract from the number of arrangements.

What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects or elements in a specific order. In other words, it is a rearrangement of a set of items where the order matters.

What is the difference between permutation and combination?

The main difference between permutation and combination is that for permutation, the order of the elements matters, while for combination, the order does not matter. In other words, permutation involves arranging items in a specific order, while combination involves selecting items without considering the order.

How do I calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being selected. For example, if you have 5 items and you want to select 3 of them, the number of permutations would be 5! / (5-3)! = 5! / 2! = 60.

What are some real-life applications of permutations?

Permutations are used in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, and physics. Some real-life applications of permutations include password generation, lottery number selection, and scheduling of events.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving permutation problems?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks for solving permutation problems. One of the most commonly used techniques is the use of factorial notation (n!). Additionally, understanding the concept of combinations and using the formula n! / r!(n-r)! can also make solving permutation problems easier.