1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with phisics

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    Hey guy! im new here and im seeking some help!
    so i just started a Electric Engineering course at grimsby collage and, i thought i had some sceince knowlage ohms and that. ya know? untill they gave me this.

Calculating Resistor Values.
    Two Resistors are connected in series with values of 220ohm & 390ohm

also

Two Resistors are connected in series with values of 1k2ohm & 2k2ohm

im not askin u to tell me the answer. just how grasp and work out the equasion.

i kinda just jumped in at the deep end without any know-how. one year a plumber, next an engineer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2
    If you expect to really receive some help, then show your work. If you don't know how to calculate the total resistance then take a look http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor" [Broken], though your textbook (if you have one) should have all the information since this is a basic question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    Two resistors in series have the same current through them.

So using ohms law (V = iR) [tex]V_{total} = iR_1 + iR_2 = i(R_1+R_2)[/tex]

So as you can see an equivalent resistor would just the from the addition of the two resistors.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Dumb question, but is Ohm's law considered a formulation in algebra, physics, etc?
    Good info on this article, and I have been reading through this forum trying to absorb some info for my own school start, but I am 15-years out of high school and I don't remember alot/any of this.

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Not really a dumb question, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you are asking. Ohm's law is just an algebraic relationship between current, voltage and resistance (or more generally impedance, when you get to complex number representations). There are reasons in physics behind the algebra, however. Hope that helps some...

7. Sep 14, 2009 #6
    ok, thanks guys i still dont fully undersatand but i kinda get the equasion. please correct me if im wrong.
    so (V = iR) so V is voltage? I - currrent, and R is resistance.
    (V=iR) Vtotal = iR1 + iR2 = i(R1 + R2)
    so ir1,2 are the phases the currents split off into ect.
    just thinking out loud.. V x I = R. (multipling 2 to find the 3rd also works?)
    also ive been reading up on this, starting to make sense.
    but i still dont know what ohms law is.... anyone have an link to some info
    would be great!

cheers
    Tony :)

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here's an intro link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohms_law

You should also read up on Series and Parallel connections of resistors, to better understand how the currents divide, and how the voltages add up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook