Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with phone shopping

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,
    My parents are interested in getting my brother a samsung omnia for christmas. He just recently told me that after looking on the internet that he doesn't think that it uses 3G in the usa. It is a really expensive phone, so I was wondering if anyone who has one/knows someone who has one can help me out with this. Does the omnia use verizon's 3g network or does it at least have another system that makes up for the disability that it cannot use 3g? like another broadband service that is also fast. Or is this a phone that if someone is interested in surfing the web with, really not too good of a choice.
    Thanks in advance guys,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    "The second 3G network operator in the USA was Verizon Wireless in October 2003 also on CDMA2000 1x EV-DO, and this network has grown strongly since then."

According to wiki.

Then if you go to Samsung Mobile USA, under specification, it states "Band - CDMA/PCS 1x, EVDO Rev A"

So with that information, I'd say yes it does work with 3G band here in the US. If you're purchasing it with a contract, then the Verizon representative should be able to clarify it for you. If you're purchasing the phone unlocked, make sure you don't end up buying the international versions.

At any rate, why buy the Omnia when you can have the Blackberry Storm? The touchscreen clicks!!! =D

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You need to check with your cell provider before buying a phone to be certain they will allow it and to make sure that the plan you have is the right one for that phone. You should also check with them because they might have a promotion that would make the phone cheaper from them than what you can buy it for somewhere else.

The Blackberry Storm has the worst ratings of any Blackberry, see here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html?_r=1&em

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?