1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with physics books

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    I am from delhi ,India and have just completed my high school (3 days back was the last exam) and now there is a 3-4 months gap before the results come and i join a college.I want to pursue majors in physics and have a keen interest in research (especially space-time,dimension on which i read in a few books like brief history of time,theory of everything all of which were quite layman type books which anyone can read).
    But in these 3-4 months i want to build a strong base on these few selected topics till the extent that i can think and reflect on them and start to bring up my on ideas.
    I tried to think on these topics and made some theories (logical to me) but i realised till i donot understand these subjects fully,i cannot think something new, like a new theory.

So i want you to tell me with the kind of books which should i start reading (containing these topics) that are neither too layman type nor too mathematical, the things i should do to increase my command over these subjects and something else you could suggest me doing in these holidays (like summer research camps) etc.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2
    Hi I am in high school too. I am studying physics I should recommend you Leonard Susskind Lectures its a good start for you.

4. Mar 21, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply.
    But can anyone tell more about certain great books (of some high level but not too high) on the topics i mentioned for a guy of my age.

5. Mar 21, 2015 #4
    Honestly, I think that the best preparation would be to learn some math. How much do you know right now? How much physics do you know? What kind of highschool classes did you take? All of those factor into what books you should read, as to go much deeper than a layperson's books a certain level of math knowledge and ability is necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook