1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with physics homework regarding friction, tension, springs and centrifugal force

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The first problem I am having trouble with is as follows:

A child pushes a 40kg sled across the ice at a constant speed. If μk = 0.05 calculate the force applied to the sled.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that f=[itex]\mu[/itex]FN

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the free body diagram would consist of a point with a direction in the x coordinate, but I have no idea how to go about this problem. Math and physics is not my strong subject; this is my first ever physics class
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Re: Help with physics homework regarding friction, tension, springs and centrifugal f

Have you tried drawing the free body diagram? The sled is moving at constant speed so the net force acting on it is zero.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3
    Re: Help with physics homework regarding friction, tension, springs and centrifugal f

Here is what I came up with:

Ʃy=FN-mg=0. Therefore, FN=mg=(40kg)*(9.8 m/s2)=392N.

Ʃx=F-f=0. Therefore, F=f, which equals [itex]\mu[/itex]s*FN, which equals (0.05)*(392N), giving me an answer of 19.6N. Did I do this correctly?

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes.

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5

Okay thanks for the help, I am feeling kinda dumb now that I know it is that simple.

Next question:

A 60kg snowboarder accelerates down a 32 degree slope at 3.0m/s2. Calculate μk.

Attempt:

Obviously since there is an acceleration, I know that the forces in the x direction acting on the snowboarder do not equal zero. When setting up a free body diagram I have FN acting upward, Fg acting "downward" (but not on the y axis), then Fx in the positive x direction, and fx in the negative direction.

I then get the following:

Ʃy= FN-mg*cos∅=0;
    so FN=(60kg*9.8m/s2)*(cos 32)=498N.

Ʃx=mg*sin∅-[itex]\mu[/itex]kFN=ma.

Is this correct so far? Would it then just be a matter of moving everything around algebraically and solving for [itex]\mu[/itex]k?

7. Sep 5, 2012 #6

Oops, *centripetal

8. Sep 5, 2012 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, simply solve for [itex]\mu_k [/itex]

9. Sep 5, 2012 #8

Okay, getting the hang of this.

Last question:

A baseball player initially running at 3.4m/s slides to a stop at third base in 1.2 seconds. Calculate the μk between him and the ground.

Attempt:

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. 3.4m/s divided by the 1.2s will give me the acceleration I think (or I guess deceleration in this case). Other than that I am at a loss

10. Sep 5, 2012 #9

CAF123

Gold Member

The frictional force provides the negative acceleration, necessary for him to come to a stop. Using the negative acceleration calculated above, you can find [itex] \mu_k. [/itex]

11. Sep 5, 2012 #10

Well I know that f=[itex]\mu[/itex]k*FN, but I don't have a mass in order to calculate FN, nor do I have f. What equation can I use to solve the problem?

12. Sep 5, 2012 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

Simply use [itex] F = ma. [/itex] You know the only force acting horizontally on the baseball player as he slides (force of friction). This is your [itex] F.[/itex] Now sub in what [itex] F [/itex] is equal to and what do you notice about [itex] m [/itex]?

13. Sep 5, 2012 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your teacher probably encourages you to work problems out using symbols first and plug numbers in at the end. This is one of the reasons why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook