1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with physics problem

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electric field of 281,000 N/C points due west at a certain point. What are the magnitude and direction of the force that acts on a charge of -7.4 µC at this spot?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just took (-7.4*10^-6)*281000

...to get -2.0794 N, and that seems incorrect.

please help me with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2
    The answer you have is correct because the Force is given by:

[tex]
    F = qE
    [/tex]

which is exactly what you did. Does your textbook [or whatever] say something else? Because there is no calculation error either [http://tinyurl.com/35fzsu].

Also, as you've got a (-) sign, the direction of the force will be opposite to that of the field i.e. due east.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    oh, thats what it was. The negative sign. That is not supposed to be there, apparently.

thankyou.

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    Actually, the sign is supposed to be there [or not be there]. Basically, it depends on what we are talking about. When we are concerned with a vector, we talk about it's magnitude and direction. If you were asked purely the magnitude, it is always greater than 0 i.e. +ive. But, the (-) sign indicates the direction. If I say that the force is -10N due west, it means that the force was 10N due east.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?