Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with physics problem

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two forces, F_1 and F_2, act at a point. F_1 has a magnitude of 9.60 N and is directed at an angle of 61.0 degrees above the negative x axis in the second quadrant. F_2_vec has a magnitude of 7.00 N and is directed at an angle of 53.7 degrees below the negative x axis in the third quadrant.

1.) What is the x component F(x) of the resultant force?

2.) What is the y component F(y) of the resultant force?

3.) What is the magnitude F of the resultant force?

I have tried different methods but i think my approach is all wrong(mult. the degrees by the N) . does anyone know how to solve it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

This is a vector addition problem.

Resolve the vector into its x,y components and add to find the Resultant vector components. Then just transfer the answers.

[tex]\vec{F_1} + \vec{F_2} = \vec{F_{Result}}[/tex]

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    sorry but as i said before i have no clue as to how to solve this problem i added the two forces to find part 3 but i got 16.6 which turned out to be wrong. I have a problem in seperating the forces into an x and y component. How exactly do you go about doing that when you are given a problem like this?

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK. Here you go. This should be helpful:
    http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/vectors/findingComponents/findingComponents.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook