1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with physics problem

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two forces, F_1 and F_2, act at a point. F_1 has a magnitude of 9.60 N and is directed at an angle of 61.0 degrees above the negative x axis in the second quadrant. F_2_vec has a magnitude of 7.00 N and is directed at an angle of 53.7 degrees below the negative x axis in the third quadrant.

1.) What is the x component F(x) of the resultant force?

2.) What is the y component F(y) of the resultant force?

3.) What is the magnitude F of the resultant force?

I have tried different methods but i think my approach is all wrong(mult. the degrees by the N) . does anyone know how to solve it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

This is a vector addition problem.

Resolve the vector into its x,y components and add to find the Resultant vector components. Then just transfer the answers.

[tex]\vec{F_1} + \vec{F_2} = \vec{F_{Result}}[/tex]

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    sorry but as i said before i have no clue as to how to solve this problem i added the two forces to find part 3 but i got 16.6 which turned out to be wrong. I have a problem in seperating the forces into an x and y component. How exactly do you go about doing that when you are given a problem like this?

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?