Solving Physics Force Problems: Finding Resultant Force Components and Magnitude

• Thread starter darealprince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem is asking to find the x and y components of two given forces and then add them to find the resultant force. The x component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle, and the y component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle. Once the components are found, they can be added to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.
darealprince

Homework Statement

Two forces, F_1 and F_2, act at a point. F_1 has a magnitude of 9.60 N and is directed at an angle of 61.0 degrees above the negative x-axis in the second quadrant. F_2_vec has a magnitude of 7.00 N and is directed at an angle of 53.7 degrees below the negative x-axis in the third quadrant.

1.) What is the x component F(x) of the resultant force?

2.) What is the y component F(y) of the resultant force?

3.) What is the magnitude F of the resultant force?

I have tried different methods but i think my approach is all wrong(mult. the degrees by the N) . does anyone know how to solve it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
darealprince said:

Homework Statement

Two forces, F_1 and F_2, act at a point. F_1 has a magnitude of 9.60 N and is directed at an angle of 61.0 degrees above the negative x-axis in the second quadrant. F_2_vec has a magnitude of 7.00 N and is directed at an angle of 53.7 degrees below the negative x-axis in the third quadrant.

1.) What is the x component F(x) of the resultant force?

2.) What is the y component F(y) of the resultant force?

3.) What is the magnitude F of the resultant force?

I have tried different methods but i think my approach is all wrong(mult. the degrees by the N) . does anyone know how to solve it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a vector addition problem.

Resolve the vector into its x,y components and add to find the Resultant vector components. Then just transfer the answers.

[tex]\vec{F_1} + \vec{F_2} = \vec{F_{Result}}[/tex]

sorry but as i said before i have no clue as to how to solve this problem i added the two forces to find part 3 but i got 16.6 which turned out to be wrong. I have a problem in seperating the forces into an x and y component. How exactly do you go about doing that when you are given a problem like this?

darealprince said:
sorry but as i said before i have no clue as to how to solve this problem i added the two forces to find part 3 but i got 16.6 which turned out to be wrong. I have a problem in seperating the forces into an x and y component. How exactly do you go about doing that when you are given a problem like this?

OK. Here you go. This should be helpful:
http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/mechanics/vectors/findingComponents/findingComponents.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best approach for solving a physics problem?

The best approach for solving a physics problem is to first understand the given problem and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to double check the units and the final answer for accuracy.

Why do I struggle with physics problems?

There could be several reasons why someone may struggle with physics problems. Some common reasons include a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, not practicing enough problems, and not seeking help when needed. It is important to identify the specific areas where one is struggling and work on improving them.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly. This will help in developing a better understanding of concepts and familiarizing oneself with different types of problems. It is also helpful to seek help from teachers or peers when facing difficulties.

Can I use a calculator for solving physics problems?

Yes, a calculator can be used for solving physics problems. However, it is important to understand when and how to use it appropriately. Simple calculations can be done by hand, but for more complex problems involving calculations with multiple steps, a calculator can be helpful.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include not understanding the given problem, using incorrect equations or formulas, not checking units and significant figures, and not double-checking the final answer. It is important to pay attention to details and be thorough in the problem-solving process.