Physics Problem Help: Calculating Horizontal Velocity for Pebble Toss

• Thread starter kimmeh06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem requires calculating the velocity at which a pebble needs to be thrown in order to hit a window with only a horizontal component of velocity. The window is 8.00m above and there is a 6.00m wide flowerbed between the thrower and the wall of the house. Using the equations X=Xo+Vxo*t and Y=Yo+Vyot+.5at^2, the thrower can solve for the initial and final velocities, using trigonometry to determine the angle of the throw. The thrower can also use the equation V2=Vo2+2*a*d to calculate the y-component of velocity and then find the x-component easily.
kimmeh06
1.Homework Statement

1. You want to toss the pebbles up to a friend's window such that the pebbles hit the window with only a horizontal component of velocity. The window is 8.00m above you and there is a 6.00m wide flowerbed between you and the wall of the house. A) How fast do you throw the pebble? B) How fast are the pebbles going when they hit your friend's window?2. Relative Equations
2. X=Xo+Vxo*t Y=Yo+Vyot+.5at^23. Attempt at the solution.
3. I know that we have to solve for initial velocity and then final velocity with only the horizontal (x) component. What I did was use trig to get tan(theta)=8/6 to get theta=53degrees. From there I plugged the variables into the equations to get
8=Vosin(theta)*t-.5*g*t^2 and 6=Vcos(theta)*t From here I'm not really sure what to do or even if I set up the equation right. Any help would be soooo appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Image you are standing right below the window, and you want to throw the rock directly upward so that it *just* reaches the window at the top of its flight. The velocity at which you have to throw the pebble for this to happen will be the y-component of velocity in your situation. Since you don't have t, try using V2=Vo2+2*a*d to calculate this.

Then once you know what the y-component of velocity is, you should be able to find the x-component easily.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this physics problem. It seems like you have made a good start by using trigonometry to find the angle at which you need to throw the pebble. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when solving this type of problem.

Firstly, it is important to remember that the initial velocity (Vx) and final velocity (Vx') in the horizontal direction will be the same, as there is no acceleration acting on the pebble in this direction. This means that we can use the same value for Vx in both equations.

Secondly, we need to consider the vertical motion of the pebble as well. The pebble will be launched with an initial vertical velocity (Vy) and will follow a parabolic trajectory due to the acceleration of gravity (g). This means that we need to use the equations for both horizontal and vertical motion to solve for the initial and final velocities.

With these considerations in mind, we can set up the equations as follows:

Equation 1: X = Xo + Vxo*t
Equation 2: Y = Yo + Vyot + 0.5at^2

Where:
X = final horizontal position (6.00m)
Xo = initial horizontal position (0m)
Vxo = initial horizontal velocity (unknown)
t = time taken for the pebble to travel horizontally (unknown)
Y = final vertical position (8.00m)
Yo = initial vertical position (0m)
Vyo = initial vertical velocity (unknown)
a = acceleration due to gravity (-9.8m/s^2)

Now, using the trigonometric relationship you have found (tan(theta) = 8/6), we can substitute in the values for Vxo and Vyo as follows:

Vxo = Vx*cos(theta)
Vyo = Vx*sin(theta)

Substituting these into our equations, we get:

Equation 1: 6 = Vx*cos(theta)*t
Equation 2: 8 = Vx*sin(theta)*t - 0.5*9.8*t^2

Now, we have two equations with two unknowns (Vx and t). We can solve these simultaneously to find the values for Vx and t.

To do this, we can rearrange equation 1 to solve for t:

t = 6/Vx*cos(theta)

We can then substitute this

1. What is the best way to approach a physics problem?

The best way to approach a physics problem is to first understand the given information and identify what is being asked. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use equations and principles from your textbook or notes to solve it step by step. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or make visual representations of the problem.

2. How do I know which equations to use?

To determine which equations to use, you should first identify the relevant variables and units in the problem. Then, refer to your textbook or notes to find equations that involve those variables. You can also use dimensional analysis to check if your chosen equation has the correct units.

3. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and solving for the given variable. You can also compare your answer to known values or use estimation techniques to see if your answer is reasonable.

4. What if I don't understand a concept or equation?

If you don't understand a concept or equation, you can try looking for online resources or asking your teacher or classmates for help. You can also try breaking down the concept into smaller parts and practicing with simpler problems to build your understanding.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to make connections between different concepts and relate them to real-life situations. Additionally, learning how to effectively use equations and principles, as well as developing critical thinking skills, can greatly improve your problem-solving abilities.