1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Physics Question

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    Having a basic and fundamental knowledge of Physics, I was able to solve the Following question:

Town A lies 20 km North of town B. Town C lies 13 km West of town A. A small plane flies directly from town B to C. What is the Displacement of the Plane?

a) 33 km [W 33degrees N]
    b) 19 km [W 33degrees N]
    c) 24 km [W 57degrees N]
    d) 31 km [W 57degrees N]
    e)6.6 km [W 40degrees N]

My answer was a).

I got my answer by adding 20 and 13. Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    HI mercifulboss, actually the answer is C)24 Km.

Try drawing a simple overview of the situation:

The question is trying to simply test your knowledge of the pathagareom theorem.
    the path that the plane travels from B to C is the Hyperbole of a triangle made by A, B, and C. If you simple us the equation: A^2 + B^2 = C^2
    you get: C^2 = 579 km.
    So then: C = 24 km.
  4. Apr 13, 2008 #3

Thank you.

But when do you add up 20 and 13? In what situations?
  5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    Well as far as trigonometry goes you wouldn't really ever need to do that. There isn't a certain formula that requires that operation. However it does depend on the situation and there could be a million different possibilities for needing to add those, just not this one :cool:
  6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    if the question had stated that the plane went from b to a to c and asked for the distance traveled you would answer 33, but since it asked for displacement path traveled does not matter, only the straight distance from c to b
  7. Apr 14, 2008 #6
    so we need x

therefore X=20(j) + 13(-i)
    lXl=/ (20)^2+(13)^2
    =/ 569
    = 23.88~24km

Attached Files:

8. Apr 16, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Vishal60: Never post full solution!!!

Read and follow the rules.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?