How Do You Calculate Displacement from Town B to Town C?

• Thread starter MercifulBoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation involves a question about displacement and the correct answer being 24 km. The person who answered used the Pythagorean theorem to explain their reasoning. There was also a discussion about adding 20 and 13 in different situations, but it was clarified that it is not relevant to this question.
MercifulBoss
Having a basic and fundamental knowledge of Physics, I was able to solve the Following question:

Town A lies 20 km North of town B. Town C lies 13 km West of town A. A small plane flies directly from town B to C. What is the Displacement of the Plane?

a) 33 km [W 33degrees N]
b) 19 km [W 33degrees N]
c) 24 km [W 57degrees N]
d) 31 km [W 57degrees N]
e)6.6 km [W 40degrees N]

My answer was a).

I got my answer by adding 20 and 13. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
HI mercifulboss, actually the answer is C)24 Km.

Try drawing a simple overview of the situation:

plane.jpg

The question is trying to simply test your knowledge of the pathagareom theorem.
the path that the plane travels from B to C is the Hyperbole of a triangle made by A, B, and C. If you simple us the equation: A^2 + B^2 = C^2
you get: C^2 = 579 km.
So then: C = 24 km.

robertm said:
HI mercifulboss, actually the answer is C)24 Km.

Try drawing a simple overview of the situation:

View attachment 13530

The question is trying to simply test your knowledge of the pathagareom theorem.
the path that the plane travels from B to C is the Hyperbole of a triangle made by A, B, and C. If you simple us the equation: A^2 + B^2 = C^2
you get: C^2 = 579 km.
So then: C = 24 km.

Thank you.

But when do you add up 20 and 13? In what situations?

Well as far as trigonometry goes you wouldn't really ever need to do that. There isn't a certain formula that requires that operation. However it does depend on the situation and there could be a million different possibilities for needing to add those, just not this one :cool:

if the question had stated that the plane went from b to a to c and asked for the distance traveled you would answer 33, but since it asked for displacement path traveled does not matter, only the straight distance from c to b

so we need x

therefore X=20(j) + 13(-i)
= 23.88~24km

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 532
Vishal60: Never post full solution!

Read and follow the rules.

What is "Help with Physics Question"?

"Help with Physics Question" refers to a request for assistance or guidance in understanding and solving a physics-related problem or question.

Why do people need help with physics questions?

Physics is a complex subject that involves understanding concepts and applying mathematical equations. Many people may struggle with certain topics or problems and need additional support to fully grasp the material.

How can I find help with my physics questions?

There are various resources available for getting help with physics questions. You can seek assistance from your teacher or a tutor, join study groups, use online resources, or consult with a fellow student or friend.

Is it important to get help with physics questions?

Yes, it is important to seek help with physics questions if you are struggling to understand the material. Getting help can improve your understanding and ultimately lead to better grades and a stronger foundation in physics.

What should I do if I still don't understand after getting help with a physics question?

If you are still having trouble understanding a physics question after seeking help, try approaching the problem from a different angle or using different resources. You can also ask for additional clarification or explanation from your teacher or tutor.