1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with physics resonance

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    There's a metal cylinder from which water is flowing out at a rate of 10^-6 m^3/s. A tuning fork of 300 Hz is placed on top of the cylinder. At what water levels will the first two resonance frequencies be heard?

It doesn't seem like a difficult problem, and it really isn't. I just can't seem to see it.

I dont think the flow rate has any signifiance in calculation; it's only useful to know that the water level is decreasing.

It's an open-closed system, so the natural frequencies are [tex]f_n = \frac{nv}{4L} [/tex] where n = 1, 3, 5, 7....

So in the first case, i think the first frequency heard would be 300 Hz. Hence, one can solve for [tex]L_1[/tex] to attain 0.286m. But how about for the next? Will it just be 3 times L_1 ? Or how do you solve for it otherwise?

Thanks
    -----------------------------

Question 2: Is it logical to ask whether the beat frequency is e.g. +4 or -4? Afterall, [tex]f_{beat} = |f_2 - f_1| [/tex] so because of the absolute value,it is always +4.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?