How Do You Calculate Torque and Rotational Inertia in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter draconicspectre
  • Start date
In summary: What is the property of matter that resists changes in rotational motion? The answer to that question is the rotational inertia, which is given the variable I. Once you figure out what I represents, you just need to plug in the values given in the problem and solve for I.In summary, the conversation discusses several problems related to rotational motion and the use of formulas to find solutions. The main topics include calculating torque and rotational inertia, as well as converting units from rev/min to radians per second. The formula P=\tau\omega is suggested for finding torque, while the formula i=mr^2 is initially suggested for rotational inertia but later corrected to be
draconicspectre
need some help with some physics homework, would really appreciate explanations for these problems and not just answers :D, neways here they are!

An automobile crankshaft transfers energy from the engine to the axle at the rate of 38.0 kW when rotating at a speed of 2900 rev/min. What torque does the crankshaft deliver?

If a 38.0 N·m torque on a wheel causes angular acceleration 22.9 rad/s2, what is the wheel's rotational inertia?

A disk, initially rotating at 150 rad/s, is slowed down with a constant angular acceleration of magnitude 3.4 rad/s2. (a) How much time does the disk take to stop? (b) Through what angle (rad) does the disk rotate during that time?

Thank you ahead of time! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
draconicspectre said:
An automobile crankshaft transfers energy from the engine to the axle at the rate of 38.0 kW when rotating at a speed of 2900 rev/min. What torque does the crankshaft deliver?

I'm sure you've seen the expression P=FV, where P is power, F is force, and V is velocity. Can you think of an analogous situation for rotational motion?

If a 38.0 N·m torque on a wheel causes angular acceleration 22.9 rad/s2, what is the wheel's rotational inertia?

Going back to linear mechanics again, I'm sure you've seen f=ma What's the analogous situation for rotational motion?

A disk, initially rotating at 150 rad/s, is slowed down with a constant angular acceleration of magnitude 3.4 rad/s2. (a) How much time does the disk take to stop? (b) Through what angle (rad) does the disk rotate during that time?

Can you think of a formula that, given initial velocity and deceleration, let's you calculate how long it takes for something moving in a straight line to stop? Try converting all of that into rotational terms. Then use a distance formula that, given initial velocity, time, and acceleration, let's you find distance, and try finding an analogous rotational equation

I'm sorry to be a hassle, but that didnt really help me at all :\ , can someone show me some formulas to help me solve these questions ?

draconicspectre said:
I'm sorry to be a hassle, but that didnt really help me at all :\ , can someone show me some formulas to help me solve these questions ?
You must have met some formulae during your studies of rotational motion. Perhaps you could hazard a guess as to which would be appropriate here?

i have some formulas, but I am not really sure how/what to use. Would u like me to start listing formulas that i have?
Once again, I'm sorry for any hassle. TY for help

draconicspectre said:
i have some formulas, but I am not really sure how/what to use. Would u like me to start listing formulas that i have?
Once again, I'm sorry for any hassle. TY for help
It is no hassle at all, Officeshredder gave you some pretty good hints with his post. Okay let's break the first one down.
Now, as Officeshredder said, the expression P=Fv, is valid for linear motion. Now, could you take a guess at what the rotational version would be? Or have a glance at your notes for something similar.

KE = 1/2 Iw^2
Would this one be suitable for our current problem?

draconicspectre said:
KE = 1/2 Iw^2
Would this one be suitable for our current problem?
I was thinking more of [itex]P=\tau\omega[/itex].

Just realized i posted my problems backwards from the list of my HW, so i think that formula actually helps the last problem i listed.

Our angular velocity is 2900 rev / min.
Our power is 38 kW
so (not quite sure how to make that symbol) = 38/2900 would be our solution?

draconicspectre said:
Our angular velocity is 2900 rev / min.
Our power is 38 kW
so (not quite sure how to make that symbol) = 38/2900 would be our solution?
We're almost there, but you must consider your units. Note that power is in kilowatts and our angular velocity is in rev/min, you must convert your values into SI units before doing the calculation; otherwise, you get yourself in all sorts of a mess. The SI units of power are watts and the SI units of angular velocity are radians per second.

38000w/
130(3.14)/sec

draconicspectre said:
38000w/
130(3.14)/sec
Your power conversion is correct, but you may wish to check your velocity conversion.

2900 /60 = to seconds
48.33 *2(pie) = 96.67(pie)

not sure how i got 130, but how about this

draconicspectre said:
2900 /60 = to seconds
48.33 *2(pie) = 96.67(pie)

not sure how i got 130, but how about this
Looks a lot better :smile:

would i use the same formula for the second problem?

p=(38Nm) (22.9rad/s^2)

draconicspectre said:
would i use the same formula for the second problem?

p=(38Nm) (22.9rad/s^2)
No, you need to find the moment of inertia (I). The formula you need is analogous to the linear equation F=ma.

i=mr^2 ?

draconicspectre said:
i=mr^2 ?
Not quite. Think about F=ma, m is the property of matter which gives it inertia...

1. What are the most common mistakes when solving physics problems?

The most common mistakes when solving physics problems include not understanding the underlying concepts, using incorrect formulas or equations, and making calculation errors. It is important to thoroughly understand the principles and equations involved in the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid mistakes.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and formulas will make it easier to solve problems effectively.

3. What are some useful tips for solving physics problems?

Some useful tips for solving physics problems include drawing diagrams or visual representations, labeling all variables and units, and using the correct units throughout the problem. It can also be helpful to check your answer using estimation or by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I approach a new or unfamiliar physics problem?

When faced with a new or unfamiliar physics problem, it is important to start by understanding the given information and identifying what is being asked. Then, break down the problem into smaller parts and use relevant equations and principles to solve each part. If you are unsure of how to approach the problem, seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

5. What resources are available for help with physics problems?

There are many resources available for help with physics problems, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems, and study groups or tutoring sessions. Your teacher or professor is also a valuable resource and can provide additional guidance and clarification on difficult problems.