Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Pig Tail Wiring.

1. Dec 20, 2013 #1
    If I have two S.P.S.T Switches and I have one Hot Wire but I want both Switches to get power at the same time I can do this.

I take my one Hot Wire and put a Wire Nut on it then connect two Wires to that same Wire Nut.

Is this called a Pig Tail?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a schematic sketch?

4. Dec 20, 2013 #3
    No I have no Drawling or Snapshot.

I just ment if you take One Hot Black Wire and put it into a Wire Nut and then have two Wire coming out of that same Wire Nut it will split the Current.

And Both Wires coming out of the Wire Nut will have Power.

I thought this is a pig tail?

5. Dec 20, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

At least for me, "pig tail wiring" just means a tap-off piece of wire, so yes. But I hesitate to answer questions about Hot wiring without knowing more about the background and qualifications of the poster. Have you worked with AC Mains wiring a lot previously? Most EEs actually have not...

6. Dec 21, 2013 #5
    I am a P.C. Repair Tech and yes I have background study in Electric and all that.

Here is the video I was watching about Pig Tail Wire for giving Power to two Switches

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook