1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with planar motion

1. Nov 1, 2004 #1
    A 12.0 kg object slides down a frictionless plane that is 3.00 meters high and extends 4.00 meters horizontally before sliding 0.100 meters horizontally and then falling out a window that is 4.80 meters high off the ground. How far horizontally from its starting position does the object travel before striking the ground?( Assume that no energy is lost from the system on the journey.)

So far I have this:

Ax = -5.886
    Vf= 7.67

Can You help me with what I need to do next? All help is appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2004 #2
    What is Ax? Horizontal acceleration?

Anyways, I'm assuming you found the final velocity correctly for the object at the moment it reached the window (if not, do so). Then if becomes a projectiles problem. Using the vertical distance, acceleration due to gravity, and initial vertical velocity, find the time taken for the object to reach the ground, use that to find the horizontal distance travelled from the window, then add that to the horizontal distance travelled before the window.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?