Help with planetary temp. equation

• Thread starter Mean-Hippy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planetary
In summary, the temperature of a hypothetical planet orbiting the CHARA star at a distance of 1 AU can be calculated using the following equation: Temp (in K) = (--------------) 1/4 * L * S * R^2 where L is the luminosity of the star, S is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.67x10^-8), and R is the radius of the planetary orbit in meters.
Mean-Hippy
I an trying to calculate the temperature of a hypotethical planet orbiting the CHARA star at a distance of 1 AU. Now I know that the luminosity of Sol is 4x10^26 watts and that Chara's is about 20% more so 4.8x10^26 watts.

I found the following equation to calculate it:

( L )
Temp ( in K ) = (--------------) 1/4
(16*pi*S*R^2 )

L = Luminosity of star
S = Stefan-Boltzmann constant which should be 5.67x10^-8
R = radius of planetary orbit in meters where 1 AU is .94x10^12, squared...

Heres where I foud this equation:
http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys230/lectures/life/life.html

I end up with stupid 476510.66 K ... this is supposed to be a planet, not a quasar ! Where am I wrong ?

Thanks for help !

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I get 117.5 degrees K. Perhaps you're not squaring the radius.

Last edited:
Mean-Hippy said:
I an trying to calculate the temperature of a hypotethical planet orbiting the CHARA star at a distance of 1 AU. Now I know that the luminosity of Sol is 4x10^26 watts and that Chara's is about 20% more so 4.8x10^26 watts.
...!

you are less apt to make errors if you use natural units

the solar const is 5.7E-117 so for that star (20% briter) the power per unit area at 1 AU is 6.84E-117

you are calculating equilibrium temp for a dark ball, so you have to divide by 4 giving
1.7E-117

the ball will heat up until it radiates away at that rate

by stef-boltz law you must multiply by 60/pi2, which is same as multiply by 6, and then take fourth root.
multiply by 6
E-116

take fourth root
E-29

Beautiful example, that temperature is about 49 degrees Fahrenheit!

If you would like it in Kelvin, it is about 283 Kelvin.

this is close to the global avg. surface temp on earth. the black ball temp at Earth's distance from sun is somewhat lower but the greenhouse effect makes up the difference

saltydog I do not see how you got 117 Kelvin
I am pretty sure the rite answer is around 280 Kelvin
I could do it more precisely but it would still come out around 283 K like what I got

[edit, to clarify in response to comment by Chronos: Earth atmosphere has two effects, one cooling and one warming. they nearly cancel but the greenhouse warming effect slightly wins out over the cooling albedo effect of reflection off the tops of clouds. so Earth is a little warmer than the dark sphere equilibrium temp. BUT if there were a lot more clouds to reflect light away, ceteris paribus, the cooling effect could win out.]

Last edited:
marcus said:
saltydog I do not see how you got 117 Kelvin
I am pretty sure the rite answer is around 280 Kelvin
I could do it more precisely but it would still come out around 283 K like what I got

I just plugged-in the values that mean hippy reported, into the equation. I know, kind of cold (liquid oxygen?).

[tex]
{\root{4}\of{\frac{4.8*{{10}^{26}}}{16\multsp \pi \multsp 5.67*\multsp {{10}^{-8}}\multsp {{(0.94 * \multsp {{10}^{12}})}^2}}}}
}
[/tex]

Well thankyou very much gentlemen !

I refuse to vacation on a planet without an atmosphere.

Chronos said:
I refuse to vacation on a planet without an atmosphere.

I talked this over with the manager and he was very concerned by your reluctance. He has ordered an an atmosphere from Comets-R-Us which
will be fine-tuned to have the nice feature that its albedo effect (reflection from the tops of clouds, and snowfields) will exactly cancel its greenhouse effect.

therefore the planet will have exactly the same avg temperature of E-29
(283 kelvin)------equilibrium temp for a dark sphere at that distance from star----as it would with no atmosphere at all

they are offering some great rates on second homes and timeshares, so I would definitely consider it if you are looking for a place to spend the hols.

1. What is the planetary temperature equation?

The planetary temperature equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the average temperature of a planet's surface based on its distance from the sun, its albedo (reflectivity), and its emissivity (ability to radiate heat).

2. How is the planetary temperature equation used in scientific research?

The planetary temperature equation is used by scientists to study and understand the climate and temperature patterns of different planets in our solar system and beyond. It can also be used to make predictions about the potential habitability of exoplanets.

3. What factors are included in the planetary temperature equation?

The planetary temperature equation takes into account a planet's distance from the sun, its albedo, and its emissivity. Other factors such as atmospheric composition and greenhouse gases may also be considered in more complex versions of the equation.

4. Can the planetary temperature equation accurately predict a planet's temperature?

The planetary temperature equation provides a simplified model for calculating a planet's temperature and may not accurately reflect the actual temperature on a planet's surface. Other factors, such as atmospheric dynamics and internal heat sources, can also influence a planet's temperature.

5. How can the planetary temperature equation be applied to Earth's climate?

The planetary temperature equation can be used to study Earth's climate and understand the impact of factors such as distance from the sun, albedo, and greenhouse gases on our planet's temperature. It can also be used to make predictions about potential future climate scenarios and inform climate change research and policies.