Help with Poisson equation in irregular mesh

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discussed a program that solves the Poisson equation using a finite volume discretization and its accuracy in producing solutions. The individual had a question about calculating the contribution of nodes to their neighbors and various methods were suggested, such as using a more refined mesh, a higher order discretization method, or a different type of discretization altogether. It was also mentioned that adjusting boundary conditions or the source term could help impose the desired influence.
tucuman87
Hi all,

I've written a program that solves the Poisson equation in
an irregular mesh, using a finite volume discretization.

the method works well, and the solution is very good at a
distance of 2-3 mesh sizes off of the source.

The problem is that I need to know what is the contribution
of the nodes to their neighbors- a place too close to have an
accurate solution (i.e. m/r)-

my question is, how could this be calculated? or- is there
a method to impose the influence to be m/r?

Thanks in advance,
Ariel.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Ariel,

Thank you for sharing your work on solving the Poisson equation using a finite volume discretization. It is great to hear that the method is working well and producing accurate solutions.

To address your question about calculating the contribution of nodes to their neighbors, there are a few possible approaches. One option is to use a more refined mesh near the source to improve the accuracy of the solution in that region. This can help capture the influence of nearby nodes more accurately. Another option is to use a higher order discretization method, such as a higher order finite volume scheme or a finite element method, which can also improve the accuracy of the solution near the source.

Additionally, you could consider using a different type of discretization method altogether, such as a spectral method or a boundary element method, which may better capture the influence of nodes on their neighbors. It may also be helpful to analyze the convergence properties of your current method and see if there are any modifications that can be made to improve the accuracy in the region of interest.

In terms of imposing the influence to be m/r, this can be achieved by adjusting the boundary conditions or the source term in your Poisson equation. You may also want to consider using a different coordinate system that better accounts for the influence of nodes on their neighbors.

Overall, I would recommend exploring these different options and considering the specific requirements of your problem to determine the best approach for calculating the contribution of nodes to their neighbors. I hope this helps and I wish you success in your research.

1. What is the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in space. It is often used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics.

2. How is the Poisson equation solved in an irregular mesh?

Solving the Poisson equation in an irregular mesh involves discretizing the equation into a system of linear equations, which can then be solved using numerical methods such as finite element or finite volume methods. These methods take into account the non-uniformity of the mesh to accurately approximate the solution.

3. What are the challenges of solving the Poisson equation in an irregular mesh?

One of the main challenges of solving the Poisson equation in an irregular mesh is accurately representing the geometry of the problem. The irregularity of the mesh can lead to numerical errors and inaccuracies in the solution. Additionally, the complexity of the mesh can make it computationally expensive to solve the equation.

4. What are the applications of solving the Poisson equation in an irregular mesh?

The Poisson equation in an irregular mesh has many applications in science and engineering. It is commonly used in modeling fluid flow in porous media, heat transfer in non-uniform materials, and electrostatics in irregularly shaped conductors. It is also used in computational fluid dynamics and finite element analysis.

5. Are there any resources available for help with solving the Poisson equation in an irregular mesh?

Yes, there are many resources available for help with solving the Poisson equation in an irregular mesh. There are numerous textbooks, online tutorials, and software packages that provide guidance and tools for solving this type of problem. Additionally, consulting with experts in the field or attending workshops and conferences can also be helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the topic.